Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on building my Trek 400 into a fixie/ss and am trying to decide whether to keep the Cinelli Quill stem on it, OR would one of those Quill/Threadless stem adapters work ok? I think the Cinelli may be a little too long, but it is definately ridable.

any thoughts or opinions?

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
jpelaston said:
Im working on building my Trek 400 into a fixie/ss and am trying to decide whether to keep the Cinelli Quill stem on it, OR would one of those Quill/Threadless stem adapters work ok? I think the Cinelli may be a little too long, but it is definately ridable.

any thoughts or opinions?

the adapter will work fine. methinks those look stupid. you can always geta new quill stem, they are not hard to find even if 26.4

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
jpelaston said:
thats what i guess i'll try to do..

do they make quill stems that have a 4 bolt face so i can remove and change bars easily?

salsa and profile make a 2-bolt removable, but if your bars are cinelli 26.4 it won't be ideal (some won't recommend, some will say it works). but those are ugly, too... and might look out of place on that old bike

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
jpelaston said:
thats what i guess i'll try to do..

do they make quill stems that have a 4 bolt face so i can remove and change bars easily?
They are out there but they, like an oversized threadless stem, tend to look out of place. Plus all that I've seen for 1" threaded are pretty cheesy (like those on some of the Bikesdirect offerings - flame expected.)

There's something about a Nitto Dynamic or an old Cinelli 1A or 1R on a lugged steel frame that is just so right.:thumbsup:

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think i may just keep the cinelli. I will probably put some drop bars on it. Im trying to decide whether a standard drop bar or a pista type is what i want... right now i have an old Scott TT aero bar that are cut into a quasi- bullhorn, and they look kinda hokey with the old Dia- Compe levers mounted out on the ends....

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
jpelaston said:
i think i may just keep the cinelli. I will probably put some drop bars on it. Im trying to decide whether a standard drop bar or a pista type is what i want... right now i have an old Scott TT aero bar that are cut into a quasi- bullhorn, and they look kinda hokey with the old Dia- Compe levers mounted out on the ends....

A suggestion...nice looking quill stems can be had cheaply...Look on eBay for old SR or "custom" stems..... Buy two.....Use one with drop bars and other other will bullhorns..

I use interupter cyclocross levers as my brake levers. They are very easy to change from bar to bar....

Here is my Panasonic...You can see how easy it would be to swap stem/bars between drops and bullhorns if I had two stems

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a slick bike... I plan on using the CX lever. I will check ebay... I never think to check there.. i sell a lot of stuff on there but never think to buy something there..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.