Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a couple of used bikes, both priced comparably.

Bike 1: Waterford 1200, 753 tubes, 9 speed record/racing triple,

Bike 2: serotta CSI, 9 speed chorus.

Having taken both for short test rides, I've determined that I like them both and could be happy with either. Both bikes are in really good shape, with a slight edge to the waterford. The triple setup on the Waterford is appealing because I tote the kids around in the trailer fairly regularly. I even like the idea of the 36 hole wheels on the Waterford, since I'm close to 200# and am not typically gentle.

The serotta is set up with a fairly long stem--120 or so along with a relatively long top tube, while the waterford has a much shorter stem (probably an 80) and top tube. This accounts for the real difference that I felt while riding them -- the waterford felt quite a bit shorter and the serotta perhaps a touch long, but not uncomfortably.

I think that a longer stem on the Waterford would solve this issue, but I wonder at what point a longer stem would start to affect handling? Thinking of weight distribution over the wheels, etc. Are there limits to how much the reach can and should be adjusted by stem substitution?

I'm not thinking anything particularly radical -- something in the 110-120 range would replicate the position on my current ride.

thanks!

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
You fail to mention what length top tubes the two bikes have and your current top tube lengths. On a bike with a 57 top tube, a 120 stem might be considered "normal". On a very small frame, 120 might be huge.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah..

That's because I didn't actually measure them.

My current ride is a 55, probably 55X55, with a 100 mm stem.

The serotta is a 54, but the top tube feels long for the size, probably about 55 as well.

The Waterford is a 53, probably 53X53.

So, realistically, I'd be talking about a 120 mm stem on a 53 cm frame.

Does that seem reasonable?

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Comparison of TT lengths aren't very relevant without STAs.

Also, a short test ride likely won't tell you everything, sometimes pains only come after an hour or two.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
A 120mm stem on a 53TT is pretty big, but many people would be happy with it. If you have a long torso and arms,it might be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.