Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, looking at the tall CA rider on the cover on the KG486... and saw that stem... jesus that thing is probably six to seven inches long... are these things available, custom, or even recommended... especially for a carbon freaking steerer that is on that fork. I mean, I may be wrong, but it seems the laws of physics and component failure are being stretched there...

Just curious if you all saw the same thing?

Plus... why do you think this guy... CA supposedly... having DA 10, and a fat look 486... a $5K build is riding those 7701 wheels? I would expect with the DA build that they would ride the 7800s at minimum... a difference of nearly 100g on the rear alone and 60+ g on the front....

weird.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
That guy

Is Christophe Moreau. That stem makes my back ache just looking at it!

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
question still was not answered...

1. are custom length stems available like that.. .that is a lot longer than a 130.

2. Are longer threadless stems like the one above dangerous to carbon steerers?

3. Why on earth would Credit Agricole using those wheels on a mtn stage when they are running DA on the rest of the bike... weird.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Wheels - probably he has to use them

Don't know about the stem issue. As to wheels, it's probably because his team has a sponsorship deal and he has to use them. Although, one sometimes hears stories about how star riders use what they want and try not to attract attention to it or put sponsor stickers on another's product. For example, look at pictures of Ulrich from last year's Tour. I think he was riding on some super pricey ADA deep dish wheels (with no stickers) and I think his team was sponsored by Campy.

As to the stem, I bet it's just a 140 and looks long because of no spacers -- but maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah buddy, I noticed exactly the same things you did. Regarding the wheels, my best guess is that maybe this was an early season race and Shimano hadn't shipped C/A the new 7800 wheels. Can't imagine Moreau prefering the 7701 over 7800.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts