Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Psydoc is right weight distribution is vital in cross for traction and power transfer and also overall comfort for all disciplines, but lets not forget even though geometry is similar to road the wheel base on CX is at least 1" longer (my CX is 3.4cm longer) while some of this is taken up by fork rake/slacker HT angle, majority is in the rear triangle for mud/tire clearance. You must sit further back to compensate for this therefore usually requiring a shorter stem and or shorter top tube. Common belief that you must have bars closer and higher on CX for better "control". Well I like control on my road bike too so I find a position that gives me good: visibility, muscle distribution (not too much weight on hands/arms etc), aero effects, adequate breathing room (no Ullrich TT position) and lastly control - not in specific order. Then shorten and raise stem by 1cm. Thats it, my saddle to stem drop is still 5" but I rarely ride in the drops if ever, mostly on tops or lever hoods.
Thats my opinion anyway.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.