Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes...and no

The information about a shorter stem leading to "twitchiness" is correct, but you are looking at stems < 10cm to see a noticeable difference, in my opinion anyway. If I recall correctly, correct toptube length has something to do with the weight distribution on the bike where you typically want 55-60% of your weight on the rear wheel and 40-45% on the front. I see absolutely nothing wrong with running a 10 or 11cm stem on a bike. I do think your concern about handlebar height is a legitimate one and being comfortable on a bike is paramount. If you are not comfortable on the bike, then you will not ride it as much or as far. Given that you are not going to be racing (and I am not convinced it would matter if you were), I would suggest going with the 62cm frame and the 10 or 11cm stem so you will be more comfortable. I ride a 57cm frame and have an 11cm stem on it because I am more flexible now. But, I used to ride the same size frame with a 10cm stem and did not notice any difference in the handling characteristics of the bike.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There is a...

...range of cross geometry, but I think the majority of bikes have a seat angle of around 73 degrees and a head tube angle in the 72 degree range. For example, the cross bike I just bought has a 72 degree headtube angle with a 56.5 TT length. The seat tube degree is similar (within .5 degrees) to my roadbike. Because of the slacker headtube angle, the length of the TT is shortened a bit...a little less than a 1cm. Dan is correct that you need to take the angles into account. Why not take some measurements from your roadbike (tip of seat to center of stem, saddle height, and your K.O.P.S.) and then have the shop set up the bike you are interested in with the same measurements and see how it feels.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.