Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started riding a few years back and have been riding a Fuji Team, pretty much stock. Since I have been diagnosed w/Degenerative Disk Disease and suffer from chronic pain, numbness etc that cycling, especially on a bike w/race geometry does not make any better to say the least.

Anyway, I'm looking to change the stem from a +/- 6 deg. to one that will give me a bit more relaxed riding position. I've been looking at an Aerus carbon stem w/a 10 millimeter (is that the same as degree) rise and one w/ a 12 rise. I guess the question is how much of a difference in bar height will result from each. I'm leaning toward the 10 because I don't want to go too high.

I'm taking any recommendations except for "buy a new bike". I'm too poor from the damn medical bills.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You might want to consider a Specialized Pro-Road multi-position stem. It looks like a normal stem but allows for 2 degree increments from 8 to 16 degrees

·
Registered
232 Posts
Direct from Specialized

laexpat said:
I hadn't seen that particular stem before. If I can actually find a 110 mm for sale somewhere I'm going to give it a try.
Specialized sells them directly from their site here

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hayduke,

Thanks for the tip. I ended up ordering the Specialized stem and installing it w/the 10 degree rise. I eventually worked up to the 12 degree and it's made a world of difference. Hopefully I can get my core stronger and work back down to the six degree but this will work fine.

Also, the customer service at Specialized was top notch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.