Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 80mm 8 degree rise stem on my bike and want to upgrade it to something a little nicer. It's an Origin8
I'm having trouble finding one.
2 questions...

I've been fitted with this stem, but can find stems with +10 degree rise. Will I notice the 2 degree difference?
Also, what does it mean when they say (i.e.) 84 degrees wouldn't that be straight up? In the pic it looks flat?

· Registered
714 Posts
2 degrees is fairly minor, I wouldn't worry toooooo much about it. Your body can probably adapt; but why not play it safe with a 6 degree drop?

The 84 degrees you mention isn't straight up; it's just a 6 degree rise.

It's the angle of the stem versus the steerer of the fork; for example, an 80 degree stem has ten degrees of rise (90-80= 10).

So compare the angle to 90 and you get the degree difference from straight out.

· Banned
270 Posts
84 is a nice position without looking wierd . Doesn't mean it will fit you . From your lack of knowlege on the topic ( degree of rise etc . ) You don 't sound like a fit fanatic . I doubt you will feel a huge difference . I have 80 on one bike and 84 on another . To make up for the different headtube sizes . There a literally 100 stems to choose from from 80 to 86 degree rise...

· Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I think I get it.
I think I might go for a 10 degree. rise. As I don't want to be any more stretched out that I am and wouldn't a shallower rise like a 6, make me more forward?

· duh...
9,749 Posts
DM.Aelis said:
2 degrees is fairly minor, I wouldn't worry toooooo much about it. Your body can probably adapt; but why not play it safe with a 6 degree drop?

The 84 degrees you mention isn't straight up; it's just a 6 degree rise.

It's the angle of the stem versus the steerer of the fork; for example, an 80 degree stem has ten degrees of rise (90-80= 10).

So compare the angle to 90 and you get the degree difference from straight out.

not quite... 90 degrees is "straight out", from the ht, whatever angle it may be... 80 would be -10 (minus 10) degrees. that's 10 degrees drop or 10 degrees down, again from the ht angle. but, flip it over and you get 100 degrees, or 10 degrees rise = +10

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.