Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this vintage colnago mega master with a 1 inch steerer fork and a chorus headset. When everything is tighten up appropriately,it won't steer, the handlebar/fork won't turn. Have to loosen the top cap bolt and stem bolts for it to move like it should normally would. Is the star nut too far down on the steerer? Is that the cause of the problem? Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
377 Posts
TlG will likely help you out. Hang on.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
One adjusts the top cap first then when the fork is right, you tighten the stem. Does your bike have a quill stem?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
One adjusts the top cap first then when the fork is right, you tighten the stem. Does your bike have a quill stem?
OP referenced a top cap bolt, stem bolts, star nut w/ 1 inch steerer so I'm pretty sure it's threadless.

OP, did you adjust in the order that Duriel stated? Only the top cap bolt will adjust the headset play, but it won't do it unless the stem bolts are loosened. And the star nut isn't down too far. If that's the case, you wouldn't be able to engage the top cap bolt. Also, make sure that you have a spacer that sits about 2-3 mm higher than the stem where it meets the top cap.

·
Registered
518 Posts
When you say it can’t turn it sounds like more than overly tight bearings and something is binding, like the bearing housing is hitting the fork or something.

Star nut too far down the steerer tube would result in u not being able to get the bolt to go in. If you can get a bolt in the star nut and tighten it and not have the star nut move the star nut is good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply, im going to check the bearings. I had. (2)5mm spacers below the stem. One thing to mention, because is a threadless 1 inch steerer fork, im using a shim so I can use the 1 1/8 stem. The shim length covers tbe lenght from the top of the headset to the end of the steerer tube enough to allow space for the top cap. The 2 spacers I'm using are for a 1 1/8 steerer so they go over the shim. Should I be using a 1 inch steerer spacer instead? Not sure if that is causing the problem?

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Thanks for the reply, im going to check the bearings. I had. (2)5mm spacers below the stem. One thing to mention, because is a threadless 1 inch steerer fork, im using a shim so I can use the 1 1/8 stem. The shim length covers tbe lenght from the top of the headset to the end of the steerer tube enough to allow space for the top cap. The 2 spacers I'm using are for a 1 1/8 steerer so they go over the shim. Should I be using a 1 inch steerer spacer instead? Not sure if that is causing the problem?
Never spend $20 to fix a $40 issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OP referenced a top cap bolt, stem bolts, star nut w/ 1 inch steerer so I'm pretty sure it's threadless.

OP, did you adjust in the order that Duriel stated? Only the top cap bolt will adjust the headset play, but it won't do it unless the stem bolts are loosened. And the star nut isn't down too far. If that's the case, you wouldn't be able to engage the top cap bolt. Also, make sure that you have a spacer that sits about 2-3 mm higher than the stem where it meets the top cap.
Thanks, I just checked the bearings, they are in order, if I tighten the top cap tight enough, there is no movement. The spacers are 1 1/8 so they are over the 1 to 1 1/8 shim. Should I be using 1 inch spacers instead
160904331995886864288.jpg

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I would suggest you stop working on your bike, take it somewhere and have a proper fork put on. That picture sayes it all, do you have any idea what happens when your steer tube breaks or fails? Check the other similar post failure posted recently.
The fact that you put this together like this sayes you are out of your league.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you I will humbly accept your advise. I never rode the bike like that. I'll take it to a shop. Thanks again for your advice and time.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,062 Posts
From what I can see, that step was never intended for that steerer. Not only is the diameter wrong, but it is too long. I'm sure there is some story behind this 'kludge repair', and I'm sure we'd be highly entertained if you could share it with us......

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,944 Posts
I would suggest you stop working on your bike, take it somewhere and have a proper fork put on. That picture sayes it all, do you have any idea what happens when your steer tube breaks or fails? Check the other similar post failure posted recently.
The fact that you put this together like this sayes you are out of your league.
Sorry to say, but yes. Don't let this happen to you:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries, I will take the bike to the shop and let the professionals fix it. I won't let you guys down and end up in an ER somewhere. I promise I won't attempt to mess with it. You got my word. I'll post a picture when is done👍

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I can see, that step was never intended for that steerer. Not only is the diameter wrong, but it is too long. I'm sure there is some story behind this 'kludge repair', and I'm sure we'd be highly entertained if you could share it with us......
It was not my intention to cut corners, or mess with the Italian engineering. I accept my limitations and lack of expertise, therefore I will do what is right, follow your advise and take it to the shop. I honestly appreciate all of your words of wisdom and advice👍

·
Registered
518 Posts
Don’t count yourself and our expertise out and I bet with decent pictures of all the parts with dimensions attached we could get it together right and then you’ll ultimately be better off as you know what’s what for your future.

save yourself the time and money and develop an understanding of what youre riding on. It’s not complicated, when u figure it you’ll see.

take a bunch of good photos and I’m sure people will be dying to tell you what to do.

·
Registered
518 Posts
For starters it looks like your shim, to get the 1 1/8” stem on the 1” steerer isn’t high enough and my guess is you need a 1” spacer, not what looks to be a carbon 1 1/8”, and then the shim would stack on top of the spacer

You need to conceptually figure the simple mechanism to compress the bearings and fork tight in the frame by pulling it up through the star nut and down through the spacers and stem, compressing all the parts, leveraging through the top cap, then tighten the stem To the steerer (through your shim) and done. Then the star nut and top cap and it’s bolt have served their purpose and they do nothing else.

there’s no unique Italian engineering and it uses standard stuff and design

·
Registered
518 Posts
get a 1” spacer on in place of the 1 1/8” , then get the shim and stem on, then take a pic looking down through the steerer tube and bet we could tell you if it will work or if there’s going to be any other obstacles.

and spin the shim so its slot is at the back of the fork lined up w the stem’s slot

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don’t count yourself and our expertise out and I bet with decent pictures of all the parts with dimensions attached we could get it together right and then you’ll ultimately be better off as you know what’s what for your future.

save yourself the time and money and develop an understanding of what youre riding on. It’s not complicated, when u figure it you’ll see.

take a bunch of good photos and I’m sure people will be dying to tell you what to do.
Thanks for the encouragement. I've built other road bikes with the regular 1 1/8, I get the,importance of the length of the tube and stem. I think in this case because is a 1 inch steerer that would require a shim and a 1 inch diameter spacer, it makes the fit tricky and doing it right is the proper thing to do. I don't want to do anything inappropriate or unsafe that would compromise the integrity of the steerer fork and stem. I think you guys are right when advocating for safety and for me to take it to a shop and getting the fork appropriately installed and set up. Im not questioning or undermining any of your expertise ir years of knowledge. In the contrary, I appreciate your advise and in the end, safety is always first. So once again thank you to each one of you for your replies and advice👍

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
get a 1” spacer on in place of the 1 1/8” , then get the shim and stem on, then take a pic looking down through the steerer tube and bet we could tell you if it will work or if there’s going to be any other obstacles.

and spin the shim so its slot is at the back of the fork lined up w the stem’s slot
Thank you, I replied to you before reading your post. I think you are absolutely right. I need to get 1 inch spacers instead of 1 1/8. I will do that and send a picture. I will not attempt to ride the bike until I get some reassurance. Like I said before, safety always first.,thanks for the advise👍

1 - 20 of 26 Posts