Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Riding a very loose headset will eventually ruin the bearings and possibly damage the frame or fork after a very long time but as long as you have ur 1 1/8” stem clamped to the 1” steerer with the shim you need between..there’s no real danger no matter how loose and you could even forget the star nut and compressing using it and be ok. It could be awful to ride and be very loose with the fork rocking back and forth when braking on the front brake but it will still work and not really a danger. Not that I recommend riding it loose but just saying this isn’t something that’s a risk of damaging something and being a danger if you’re not riding it a long time ..other than in your pic the stem looks clamped with the shim partially in place and if you’d clamped the bolts tightly it likely wasn’t a good thing for ur stem. The steerer likely wouldnt experience any ill effects from that.

A broken steerer tube is very rare. As long as you’re not overly clamping your stem and/or not following some rare manufacturer’s requirements on some unique fork I wouldn’t think about it. ((Unless you’re thinking of replacing the star nut with a long compression plug and flipping your stem and SLAMMING it..which is likely a safer bet if you’re actually worried about your fork steerer tube breaking..but I wouldn’t worry about it))

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was
For starters it looks like your shim, to get the 1 1/8” stem on the 1” steerer isn’t high enough and my guess is you need a 1” spacer, not what looks to be a carbon 1 1/8”, and then the shim would stack on top of the spacer

You need to conceptually figure the simple mechanism to compress the bearings and fork tight in the frame by pulling it up through the star nut and down through the spacers and stem, compressing all the parts, leveraging through the top cap, then tighten the stem To the steerer (through your shim) and done. Then the star nut and top cap and it’s bolt have served their purpose and they do nothing else.

there’s no unique Italian engineering and it uses standard stuff and design
It was just kudos to colnago bikes

21 - 26 of 26 Posts