Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am in need of a new stem. I currently have a 100mm and want to get a 90mm. Does anyone have any suggestions, to start my search, in the say $40-80 price range? Right now I just have the stock one(31.8mm)
 

·
Sucker for carbon
Joined
·
266 Posts
Tarmacjack said:
So i am in need of a new stem. I currently have a 100mm and want to get a 90mm. Does anyone have any suggestions, to start my search, in the say $40-80 price range? Right now I just have the stock one(31.8mm)
I've always thought this was a nice stem:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=299406

If you look around on ebay and other sites you could probably find it for less.
 

·
Diesel Engine
Joined
·
898 Posts
Hard to go wrong with a Ritchey stem, I had one on my old race bike and it was strong and light. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again or recommend to someone else.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
check out KCNC if you want the lightest parts for your money.

I went with Ritchey WCS aluminum stuff due to ease of finding and almost as good weight/price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,557 Posts
Don't go really light. In that price point you are probably going to have to get aluminum, and they are flexy if they are too light. I rode the Richey WCS for many years, and liked it. With Titanium hardware it was around 100 grams. When I got fitted the guy put me on a 90mm - and my budget mated me to a PRO (Shimano) stem. Nice enough and for $50 it didn't break the bank - I had to buy new shorter reach carbon bars too - the whole fitting and parts was a little over $500.

Recently I found a Control Tech carbon stem (in 90mm) for under $100 on ebay (I'd been looking for a long time!)

The difference between aluminum and Carbon is the Carbon does not flex at all. I had assumed it was the steerer tube that was flexing. No - it was that short aluminum stem, and every other stem I'd ever ridden flexed the same way. The whole front end feels stiffer.
I'd highly recommend getting a beefy carbon stem like Bontrager, Specialized, or Time. They aren't light, usually well over 150 grams. But in terms of performance, they can't be beat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In terms of rise, I don't really know. I have the stock stem flipped to a flatter position and I really like it. I prefer it flatter.
 

·
What the what???
Joined
·
12,702 Posts
Tarmacjack said:
In terms of rise, I don't really know. I have the stock stem flipped to a flatter position and I really like it. I prefer it flatter.
In that case, I got nothin'... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
359 Posts
As far as Ritchey stems go the 44 is a good mix of light weight and stiffness, but I found the standard 4 axis just flexes to to much for my taste, although I generally run 120-130mm stems so flex tends to be more pronounced at those lengths. I like the 3T ARX line as well, light weight, reasonably stiff and pretty inexpensive. If you can live with the limited angle's Synchros' FL stems are quite stiff and are pretty light, stiffer than either the Ritchey or 3T offerings. I currently use a 120mm, -17 degree X2, which is much stiffer than WCS 4 axis and noticeably stiffer than the ARX team stems I had in the same length and angle. The only problem I've had is the install is a little finicky which is usual for two bolt stems. The faceplate spacing needs to very even top to bottom, and I'd also recommend using an assembly compound with it. It is not that light, around 155 grams stock, but Ti bolts will drop it to within 10-15 grams of a WCS, ARX, or most other light weight stems, and its just as stiff as my Newton Pista which was over 160 with Ti bolts.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
Don't go really light. In that price point you are probably going to have to get aluminum, and they are flexy if they are too light. I rode the Richey WCS for many years, and liked it. With Titanium hardware it was around 100 grams. When I got fitted the guy put me on a 90mm - and my budget mated me to a PRO (Shimano) stem. Nice enough and for $50 it didn't break the bank - I had to buy new shorter reach carbon bars too - the whole fitting and parts was a little over $500.

Recently I found a Control Tech carbon stem (in 90mm) for under $100 on ebay (I'd been looking for a long time!)

The difference between aluminum and Carbon is the Carbon does not flex at all. I had assumed it was the steerer tube that was flexing. No - it was that short aluminum stem, and every other stem I'd ever ridden flexed the same way. The whole front end feels stiffer.
I'd highly recommend getting a beefy carbon stem like Bontrager, Specialized, or Time. They aren't light, usually well over 150 grams. But in terms of performance, they can't be beat.
aluminum is more flexy than carbon? and you can notice this through a stem only?

you also start your post with DON'T GO LIGHT with the stem and then you mention a 100g stem and talking about weights throughout your post.

theres some other contradictory statements in your post, which makes me wonder... are you ok?
($500 for a ****ing fitting?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,745 Posts
I've never noticed any difference from one stem to the other aside from the obvious, size and angle.

When exactly do some of you feel this flex?

Not to sound like a dick but I'd probably question my riding technique if I was flexing stems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
+1 for the Ritchey 4-axis WCS. I've used a couple and like them. Light, strong, alloy. You can get them in your price range online or from the 'bay.

Just my opinion, but be wary of carbon ones. Many are carbon-wrapped alloy (like the WCS carbon), in which case you're paying for the bling and not much weight savings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I was in same position as you just a few weeks ago but needed some length. I went from a 90 mm Thomson X2 stem to a 100mm 3T ARx Pro.

I can sell you the X2 stem if you're interested, stem is less than a year old.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top