Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a new stem for the bike I'm building. In shopping for the stems, I see a wide range of pricing from 30dollars to 300.00. Looking at the weight specifications there are some differences, but relatively minor between the cheapest to the most expensive. Probably at most about 30-50g differential.

I won't spend 300.00 on a stem, I think there are better places to invest that money. However between the entry level 30.00 to 80.00 alloy stems, are there any noticeable differences in how the bike will feel to a regular cyclist? Or is the price difference mainly to do with the quality of the machining, finishing etc?

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I need to buy a new stem for the bike I'm building. In shopping for the stems, I see a wide range of pricing from 30dollars to 300.00. Looking at the weight specifications there are some differences, but relatively minor between the cheapest to the most expensive. Probably at most about 30-50g differential.

I won't spend 300.00 on a stem, I think there are better places to invest that money. However between the entry level 30.00 to 80.00 alloy stems, are there any noticeable differences in how the bike will feel to a regular cyclist? Or is the price difference mainly to do with the quality of the machining, finishing etc?
I highly doubt there's much difference in the ride of a $300 carbon stem and a $30 aluminum stem. To me, it's looks, the number of bolts/fasteners (4), and to some extent weight. I like the Ritchey stems that run $40-$80 depending.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
stems (headsets, hubs, arguably seat posts) .. are a trivial 'bling thing'

kind of amazing how good a $25 stem is these days. I recently bought a FSA Gossamer stem for $25. regular $50. ~144 grams. The priciest carbon 3T stem on Chainreaction is $300 for 118g. What is the difference? the weight of empty gel wrappers in your pocket maybe

I was using Thomson stuff. And Hope or Cane headsets. but my latest build I did all FSA (OK THomson post). really cannot tell a difference.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
stems (headsets, hubs, arguably seat posts) .. are a trivial 'bling thing'

kind of amazing how good a $25 stem is these days. I recently bought a FSA Gossamer stem for $25. regular $50. ~144 grams. The priciest carbon 3T stem on Chainreaction is $300 for 118g. What is the difference? the weight of empty gel wrappers in your pocket maybe

I was using Thomson stuff. And Hope or Cane headsets. but my latest build I did all FSA (OK THomson post). really cannot tell a difference.
I use a FSA Gossamer stem as well, very strong and light. Really an amazing deal

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of getting an FSA stem as well. Seems to be pretty inexpensive and not that heavy. Just didn't know if there were any drawbacks to it. I usually see good value for money in going from value/entry level products to mid range, but not so much from mid range to elite type components. I guess stems are one of those that the entry level products perform 90% as good as elite level products.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Performance bike Forte OS. Stem 29$ and 110g

Can't beat that! That's up there with most big name high end stems .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
On a carbon steerer the amount of contact / internal hole size is important according to at least one bike manufacturer. Also the design of the cut in the back being at an angle is supposed to be important for carbon steering tubes. Other than that, stiffness is something you may notice difference. Some you are just paying for the brand name though. Google Bike stem review and you will find some good reviews on weight and stiffness of some popular stems.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just going to get an FSA stem as they are readily available at my LBS and not expensive. I really doubt that I'll notice any weight or stiffness differences as I don't race and can't put out that many watts.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
The priciest carbon 3T stem on Chainreaction is $300 for 118g
I bought a very expensive carbon stem that was supposed to be <120 grams. Actual weight=135grams. I doubt that 3T stem is 118 grams. Ridiculous and inaccurate seem to be the accepted norm in cycling.

Save your money and buy a basic functional stem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts