Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the shortest possible, well functioning, not necessarily carbon stem for under $200?. The reason i ask is because i want the most sadde to bar drop i can get, but that has come with it's reach issues aswell. I figure if i find a ridiculously short stem my bike will fit perfectly.

QUESTION, will a really short stem adversly affect steering and or ride quality?

QUESTION, I found a sticker in the side of my steertube saying "leave one spacer below on regulary steerer, on carbon steerer, leave one 5mm above and below." I am not sure if my steerer is carbon, it very well could be, but even if it was, is it that bad not to have a spacer under the stem?

Many thanks

Hold ya Line

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
If you need to run a really short stem to get your bike to fit properly your frame is the wrong size.

Carbon steerers are well.......... Carbon. Just look at it. It will be either carbon, aluminum, steel or in your case unobtanium.

You are going to have a tough time finding road stem under 80-90mm. You can get some downhill or DJ stems that short.

·
have droids, will party
582 Posts
Why do you need so much saddle to bar drop that your bike won't be rideable with normal components?

Also, it can affect handling depending on the geo of the frame. You could definitely end up with a twitchy, poor steering, or wobbling situation.

·
Registered
641 Posts
You have either a bike that is too big or the wrong style frame. Follow the instructions for the spacers, and don't drop your bars so much if you cannot use a normal road stem with it. If you cannot figure out if you steerer is carbon or not we cannot help much.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Visit your LBS where you got the bike.
Reality is you should be able to move the stem throughout the spacer stack and not have to adjust length. (if you are maintaining the advertised max spacer amount)

·
Registered
164 Posts
What is the shortest possible, well functioning, not necessarily carbon stem for under $200?. The reason i ask is because i want the most sadde to bar drop i can get, but that has come with it's reach issues aswell. I figure if i find a ridiculously short stem my bike will fit perfectly.

QUESTION, will a really short stem adversly affect steering and or ride quality?

QUESTION, I found a sticker in the side of my steertube saying "leave one spacer below on regulary steerer, on carbon steerer, leave one 5mm above and below." I am not sure if my steerer is carbon, it very well could be, but even if it was, is it that bad not to have a spacer under the stem?

Many thanks

Hold ya Line
Thomson | ELITE X2 : 31.8 Road

Syntace

·
Registered
173 Posts
to answer directly without considering your safety or sanity,

shortest stem i've seen is 50mm, i doubt there is any shorter than that.

I have installed a 60mm stem on a carbon road bike before, for a casual rider like me who average 14mph, i can hardly tell the difference between stock 100mm stem and the after market 50mm.

I don't know about spacer on steertube, good luck.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Personally, I'd like to see this ridiculous saddle to bar drop with a tiny little choad stem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.