Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
naranjito
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to buy or how to make stencils for spray painting? More specifically, I'm looking for a stencil to make the pattern like the one in the pic. I had a frame painted with this stencil years ago, and I've always liked the pattern, but can't find a stencil anywhere, and all the painters I talked to said it wasn't available anymore. Does this pattern even have a name? I know it was made popular on the colnago master frames from the late 80's - early 90's.

thanks, foz

·
corning my own beef
5,713 Posts
foz said:
Does anyone know where to buy or how to make stencils for spray painting? More specifically, I'm looking for a stencil to make the pattern like the one in the pic. I had a frame painted with this stencil years ago, and I've always liked the pattern, but can't find a stencil anywhere, and all the painters I talked to said it wasn't available anymore. Does this pattern even have a name? I know it was made popular on the colnago master frames from the late 80's - early 90's.

thanks, foz
I would call it "utility fabric".....

I have a 1983 Basso with similar (but toned down a bit) paint.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The Panasonic bikes that could be "custom" ordered in the late 1980s had this paint option as well. But yes, I remember first seeing it in a 1980s Colnago.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Go to the Landshark web site and look around; you'll get an idea of how John Slawta achieves his unique effects. It appears he uses common materials to be found in almost any art/hobby/craft/hardware/grocery store. Like someone suggested above; construction safety netting is a possibility as is ANY of the various types of metal and plastic fencing/screening you'll find at the hardware store.

There are also some great Youtube videos which show how to achieve certain paint effects like faux carbon fiber and that raindrop finish so perhaps what you're looking for is there as well.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Mask it with pinstiping tape

·
naranjito
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any recommendations for pinstriping tape? make? type? I know nothing about paint masking tapes...

·
Registered
797 Posts
About any auto parts store can hook ya up

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Fishnet stockings cut and stretched will work.
I am not EVEN ask how you know about painting stuff through fishnet stockings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got to a sign shop, like Fast Signs etc. Any place that cuts vinyl for sign faces, vehicle lettering. stuff like that. Bring your frame and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to get the pattern you want and cut it out of a vinyl specially made for masking. if they tell you they can't do it find a different place, I work with this stuff every day, it's a 30 minute job. As for the fade, I would paint the blue first, apply the mask, then bring the white down onto the blue, pull the mask and clear everything.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I used to play around with that affect. I would find old table cloths and such at Goodwill. Remember doilies? Spraying over them gives you the soft edge you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
foz said:

thanks, foz
Not sure exactly, but it looks like those plastic sleeves they put over your bottles at the liquor store to keep them from banging together.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts