Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone else caught this last Sunday but it struck me as odd. This is a screenshot from Family Guy (cartoon that often makes comedy out of stereotype) when Peter Griffin confesses, "I'm one of these guys, Brian, I'm one of these guy (with sad face)".

Tire Wheel Mode of transport Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Is this how the spandex wearing road cyclists are perceived by the general public, something to be secretive about?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Interesting that almost all the cyclists depicted with helmets have helmet or eyeglass mounted mirrors. In my experience, users of these are in the small minority, but they evidently make an outsized impression on non-cycling public.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Interesting that almost all the cyclists depicted with helmets have helmet or eyeglass mounted mirrors. In my experience, users of these are in the small minority, but they evidently make an outsized impression on non-cycling public.
hahahaha... so true.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How many of you have ever had a driver come up to you at a light or stop sign and say "get a car" or "my taxes pay for these roads"? I get this a few times a year. As if we don't have cars and pay registration and insurance...

·
Registered
829 Posts
How many of you have ever had a driver come up to you at a light or stop sign and say "get a car" or "my taxes pay for these roads"? I get this a few times a year. As if we don't have cars and pay registration and insurance...
Since we pay for the Obamacare blood pressure meds, Cholesterol meds and Diabetes meds, they can cover our share or road taxes

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,074 Posts
What is interesting is that cyclists in cyclists garb out cycling are worthy of popular mockery and eyebrow raising....But fatties stuffing their face wearing NFL jersies plopped on their butt all afternoon aren't.

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
I'd tell Peter:

1.) Check your bars... they don't look squared to your fork
2.) The spoke count on those wheels might be low for your size
3.) Fixed gear? Chapeau.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I think a lot of the stereotyping comes with how the general public views the sport. I for one have embraced my transition to becoming a road cyclist. I have done a lot of odd hobbies and activities. Road cycling is by far the most normal, and the most beneficial.

Cycling has taught me a lot:
Self sustaining, meaning i set out for a 60+ mile bike ride alone I have learned to do what it takes and not rely on others to get back home
Navigation, i lived in my area for 8 years, and in the past year i have covered about 5000 miles of roads that i have never seen before
Pride in appearance

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,434 Posts
Who gives a fig what others think?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,704 Posts

Well unless this is an Interstate Highway (gas taxes), cyclists' taxes are paying for these roads too (paid for with general funds from income and sales taxes). And cyclists put far less wear and tear on the roads than motor vehicles do.

Also, motor vehicles registration fees pay for....um....motor vehicle registrations, plates and other DMV expenses which don't apply to bikes.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Yes.

When I decided to start riding a bike there was no ****ing way I was going to wear a god damn leotard while riding... No way. Liner shorts were purchased after the first ride that left me sore for a week. They went under khaki shorts.

The wind got me though.

Now I wear the ****ing leotard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well unless this is an Interstate Highway (gas taxes), cyclists' taxes are paying for these roads too (paid for with general funds from income and sales taxes). And cyclists put far less wear and tear on the roads than motor vehicles do.

Also, motor vehicles registration fees pay for....um....motor vehicle registrations, plates and other DMV expenses which don't apply to bikes.
No, but drivers must assume we don't own motor vehicles. I'm pretty sure we all own vehicles. It is their ignorance that kills me.

Are we cyclists tax exempt? If we are please let me know so I can file a claim. LOL

1 - 20 of 62 Posts