Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terrible news.

http://stevetilford.com/2017/04/05/bad-news/

Its me again Vincent. Steve and I were in a bad car accident west of Grand Junction on I70 at about 12:15am. I am kinda ok in a hospital in Grand Junction. Steve is not good I do not wish to say more now. I will update when I have more specific facts. Please be patient
I am posting from my phone.

4:25am I (vincent) have a fractured sternum, that hurts, otherwise just sore.

6:12 Steve is dead. More later. I am flying back to Denver. Need to get to the airport now.
RIP Steve.

·
Chief Road Officer
85 Posts
oh my god. Steve was one of my all-time favorite American racers. Pure class. This is heartbreaking. My most sincere condolences to his family and friends.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
death could have been so easily avoided. you have to get out of the road after an accident.

i saw an insurance commerical recently​ on tv where a mother slams on the brakes to avoid a front-end collision and then just sits there, looking back to her kids in the seat behind her. **** that! you have to get the **** out of the road unless you want to get hit from behind.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
death could have been so easily avoided. you have to get out of the road after an accident.

i saw an insurance commerical recently​ on tv where a mother slams on the brakes to avoid a front-end collision and then just sits there, looking back to her kids in the seat behind her. **** that! you have to get the **** out of the road unless you want to get hit from behind.
He was trying to get his dog Tucker out of the Van.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
He was trying to get his dog Tucker out of the Van.
well, if you're going to throw the rest of your life away, that's as good of a reason as any.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Will miss his writing, his blog was the only one I followed religiously. We all hoped he would write a book, it would be as great as Joe Parkins for sure. For those who don't know he is one hell of a story. Rode the Coors for LaVieClaire, team USA all over the world, Kretchmer/SRiver/Raleigh/Levi, Schwinn all over the US, Milk Race, Worlds, Nat champ in 1983 in MTN, Cross champ from the 1970's to the 2010's, Masters Worlds, hour record in US. He did it all and rode with everyone. Great writer, great man, amazing rider. Still riding 300-400 miles a week and putting the hurt on people a third of his age. Countless acts of kindness for his friends and acquaintances.... Lucky to have ridden with him one time 30 years ago and still get chills. Not the house hold name as LeMond, Hampsten, Grewal, Phinney, Ned, etc, but believe me that they measured themselves against him, he was that great. RIP Tilly.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Yup, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he was thinking... :rolleyes:
one of the problems after an accident is people don't think. they're often confused. you've got to pull yourself together and get to safety, especially at night and in heavy fog. if not, you become a sitting duck.

maybe this post and your rolleyes will save one life. if so, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
one of the problems after an accident is people don't think. they're often confused. you've got to pull yourself together and get to safety, especially at night and in heavy fog. if not, you become a sitting duck.

maybe this post and your rolleyes will save one life. if so, thanks in advance.
You are correct. I was one of the first people who arrived upon a serious accident where 1 person will killed 2 were critical. One man who wasn't injured was in shock and couldn't even remember which vehicle he was in and just kept walking around in a daze.

We all think we would know what we would do, but we don't until we are in that situation.

It's so very sad all the way around. The cycling world has lost a great person.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
well, if you're going to throw the rest of your life away, that's as good of a reason as any.
That's real nice of you. You don't know how quickly it all happened. How confused you'd be after driving a van through a semi trailer. How quickly the second truck came that ended his life. I hope that when you die, there isn't some jackass on the internet calling you an idiot. He was a way bigger person than you'll ever be.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
From a human being. https://pvcycling.wordpress.com
"Tilford-like, he’d gone down at 30 on a training ride, unhelmeted, taken out by a dog, such that his skull shattered. When the inevitable victim blaming sprang up, Tilford shrugged. 'I didn’t wear a helmet and it didn’t work out for me, but I don’t go around blaming riders with helmets who’ve been injured or killed.' "

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
I hope that when you die, there isn't some jackass on the internet calling you an idiot. He was a way bigger person than you'll ever be.
never called him an idiot, and never insulted another poster like you just did.

maybe my post will wake up someone that finds himself in this situation.

what will your post do?

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
That's real nice of you. You don't know how quickly it all happened. How confused you'd be after driving a van through a semi trailer. How quickly the second truck came that ended his life. I hope that when you die, there isn't some jackass on the internet calling you an idiot. He was a way bigger person than you'll ever be.
Shock is a funny thing, it relieves the pain that would otherwise be felt while disconnecting any cognitive function.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
it's a huge loss to our community

1 - 20 of 34 Posts