Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Our local bike shop rides requires a helmet to participate. Yet this ride with apparent elite cyclists does not. Seems odd to me.

Also I was reading the article and not really knowing who he even is but the writer indicated that he did not have permission to post this stuff up on the world wide web. Anyway I believe that Health Care privacy is a good thing. Seems odd that his privacy is not being respected.

Anyway, best wishes to the injured cyclists and speedy recovery. Definitely gives me pause when I think of the near misses I encounter in our local bike shop rides. We have a wide variety of skill levels from the new cyclist to the veteran cyclist and it can be the wild west out there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Our local bike shop rides requires a helmet to participate. Yet this ride with apparent elite cyclists does not. Seems odd to me.

Also I was reading the article and not really knowing who he even is but the writer indicated that he did not have permission to post this stuff up on the world wide web. Anyway I believe that Health Care privacy is a good thing. Seems odd that his privacy is not being respected.

Anyway, best wishes to the injured cyclists and speedy recovery. Definitely gives me pause when I think of the near misses I encounter in our local bike shop rides. We have a wide variety of skill levels from the new cyclist to the veteran cyclist and it can be the wild west out there.
I read the blog post on Steve's website to mean that Steve might be upset that the writer said he wasn't wearing a helmet. I think the writer clearly had permission from Steve to write about his accident (otherwise how would he get access to post), but not necessarily that he wasn't wearing a helmet. Steve's "old school" attitude towards helmets has occasionally been a point of discussion in his blog posts.

I say, "to each his own" - we are all aware of the risks of riding without a helmet, and some can choose to take those risks.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
Not to worry, ole' Steve ain't afraid to post his injuries for all to see.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I read the blog post on Steve's website to mean that Steve might be upset that the writer said he wasn't wearing a helmet. I think the writer clearly had permission from Steve to write about his accident (otherwise how would he get access to post), but not necessarily that he wasn't wearing a helmet. Steve's "old school" attitude towards helmets has occasionally been a point of discussion in his blog posts.

I say, "to each his own" - we are all aware of the risks of riding without a helmet, and some can choose to take those risks.
He would be turned away at our LBS rides. The bike shop owner would loan him a helmet for the ride however if he wanted to ride along with us.

I suppose taking consent from someone who has suffered a head injury and likely under the influence of narcotics is pushing the envelope a bit. But if the cyclists say it's all good then that is what it is.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
In 30 years, and too many crashes to count, I've only landed on my head, just once.
Once could have been enough. Landed on the temple area and split the helmet in half. Only injury besides normal road rash was a large bruise on my temple area. I finished the ride with the group, and impressed most of the people there. I received a score of 9.35 out of 10 on my crash.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
If anyone follows Steve's blog, you would have deduced by now that not only does he not wear a helmet, there's a big question as to what he has for a source of income (no one knows what work he does for a living) and as a result, what kind of insurance he has.

This is a perfect storm, but if you ride as much as Steve does (he's over 10k miles for this year already) the odds are it's gonna happen sooner or later. A helmet would have been very cheap insurance and may have turned this into a less dramatic story.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Oh man... that's serious stuff. I hope he gets through this and gets back to baseline.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If anyone follows Steve's blog, you would have deduced by now that not only does he not wear a helmet, there's a big question as to what he has for a source of income (no one knows what work he does for a living)
My understanding is that he makes a decent amount of coin from the website, and doesn't have a whole lot of expenses (racing/equipment/travel all covered).

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
My understanding is that he makes a decent amount of coin from the website, and doesn't have a whole lot of expenses (racing/equipment/travel all covered).
Really? From his blog? I have a good friend who is a very successful freelance journalist. She writes about travel and finance and the intersection of the two... she has numerous prestigious career milestones.... she has a blog/website that gets a lot of traffic. She isn't making boodles of scratch... no retirement plan, no health benefits. Granted, she travels the world and spends time with world leaders, financiers, blah, blah, blah... she has a nice apartment in DC. But she struggles to keep it. She is an incredible writer with a graduate degree in Communication. Maybe my cost of living perception is just so skewed being in the shadow of NYC.

·
Registered
217 Posts
He wins my age group at the Cheq Fat Tire 40 every year (beats me by about an hour) and finishes in the top 20 (out of 2000) over guys 30 years younger. He's a legend and former world masters champion and if he prefers to go without a helmet on a training ride I'm not going to criticize him. Hope he recovers completely.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
This is a perfect storm, but if you ride as much as Steve does (he's over 10k miles for this year already) the odds are it's gonna happen sooner or later. A helmet would have been very cheap insurance and may have turned this into a less dramatic story.
Hopefully he will recover quickly and learn to wear a helmet for now on.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
Hopefully he will recover quickly and learn to wear a helmet for now on.
I kind of doubt it. He bit it pretty bad at Joe Martin a few years ago and posted an anti-helmet rant of some sort a few days later. I think he was forced to wear a helmet since officials were on the course. I thought about making a snarky comment to him when I was standing next to him, but I figured that would be in poor taste given the recent injuries.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If I understand from the blog, the doctors will be telling him he's at serious risk if he hits his head again. I doubt he'll ride again without a helmet.

I told a buddy years and years ago, when he was getting back to road riding that I wouldn't ride with him unless he wore a helmet. I didn't want to have to explain to his wife and young boys why daddy was a vegetable.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
If I understand from the blog, the doctors will be telling him he's at serious risk if he hits his head again. I doubt he'll ride again without a helmet.

I told a buddy years and years ago, when he was getting back to road riding that I wouldn't ride with him unless he wore a helmet. I didn't want to have to explain to his wife and young boys why daddy was a vegetable.
if you ride with him while he wears a helmet and he ends up a vegetable, who would explain it for you? Sure the risk is less with a helmet but let's not pretend it is some magic bullet. Which you implicitly do.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.