Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shimano 600 STI. I need some help figuring out how to get the shifter cable out of the right shifter. The cable will move a little bit but won't push out. Nor will it seat properly now. I'm stumped.
Thanks

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
is it frayed? you may be able to pull on it, an paddle the shifter. you may have to push on it some too, to get the head in the proper position. try strapping the brake lever back to you can look in the cable hole (hard to do w/ only 2 hands!). sometimes a dental pick or something similar will help to move it around a bit. good luck...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I can't tell if it's frayed inside the lever. When I think the cable is seated the paddles jam up. I can push on the cable and then the paddles will move and click but of course the cable isn't in place so it doesn't work. I'll look around for something small enough to fit in the little hole and see how that goes. Thanks
Morning update. I have been able to see a little better inside the shifter. It looks like the cable end has come out of the hook that holds it and moves it when shifting. I can see the cable end on the other side of the shifter. I have no idea how to get it back where it belongs. After reading other posts of shifting problems with Shimano I checked my other bikes that are not ridden much and sure enough. They had sticky operations. That's how this problem started on this bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts