Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Jamis 853 frame, all the tubes are actually 853 including the stays, I have had it built up as a single speed for a few years and put maybe 100 miles on it. It is in excellent condition and purchased 3 years ago as NOS.

Currently, I'm building it up as a second bike, with Campy 10 speed, Centaur, with an Easton EC90 aero fork and Rolf aspin wheels. When finished the bike should come in at 17lb and the ride should be sublime. At least it was when I was using it as a single speed.

I have a habit of building at least 2 second bikes a year and then selling them and I have a feeling that this may be the fate of this bike. I've been eyeing one of those Pedal Force carbon frames and I have been think about picking one up and building it over the winter.

However, considering that it is harder and harder to come across a nice steel frame. And, although, this has a Jamis sticker on it, it sure is a nice frame. If I were to buy a new one today, i.e., all steel 853, it would cost me. Should I keep this frame and stick with this as a second bike or should I by the Pedal Force and forget about steel. If it has a Pinerello or DeRosa sticker on it it would be easy for me to decide.

Keeping it and buying the other is not an option since my wife would not allow it. Those that are married will understand and those that are not you can start cracking jokes.

BTW, I sweat like crazy and can rust a frame in 7 years if ridden daily. Which is one reason I went to Ti for my main ride.

Your thoughts?

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a laugh. My bikes are so well maintained they look show room good after every ride. It has nothing to do with maintenance, something as a former mechanic and rider for over 20 years I'm well versed in. It has more to do with the corrosive nature of my sweat. Spend 2-6 hours in the saddle pouring sweat, and I do mean buckets, and see what will happen.

But thanks for your .02 anyway.

· Registered
313 Posts
I am probably one of the few that didn't feel a "major" difference when switching from steel to carbon. Granted that was from Merckx steel to a KG series Look in 2001 (that I'm still enjoying to this day). I know carbon has come a long way over the last 8 years, so I might be a little out of the "new carbon" loop.

Anyways, the main thing I noticed with carbon was the slight reduction in road buzz, other than that, other differences were more noticeable like geometry and handling. I always heard the older Looks rode more "steel-like" than other types of carbon bikes so someone with ride time on this particular frame may be of more help.

I would recommend you at least give carbon a try, it could be a nice subtle change and certainly is corrosion resistant. I liked the change, but still like steel....and I would certainly like to ride a 585 or Time Edge Racer to see how much better things actually got.:thumbsup:

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The pedal Force is $800 for the frame.

My Litespeed would remain my main ride.

Budget: This is a second bike for the road. Something I would ride maybe once a week. So, my budget would vary but I don't want to spend big money on a frame and I've heard some very nice things about the Pedal Force. I would build it up with Campy Chorus, Zero Gravs, 420's , etc. much like my Litespeed build.

· Registered
2,673 Posts
"older Jamis 853 frame, all the tubes are actually 853 including the stays"

853 isn't old, all 853 tubes is top of the line. But you have carbon fever, don't build the Jamis, store it. Tell the wife you'll sell it if the Pedal force turns out to be a great bike if not you'll sell the PF and build the Jamis.

· Registered
2,177 Posts
currently, my fondriest status, deda 16.5 steel frame is my main ride. I too keep it in factory new condition, but I am a really heavy sweater. I gush buckets on it for 1.5 to 3 hrs 4-5 days a week.
However, as I've become stronger, I'm interested in going lightweight cf. Planning on a cannondale supersix. But no way would I unload the steel frame. You know you'll regret it.

· Registered
83 Posts
I would look at what specific characteristics you want in a 2nd bike. I don't know which Litespeed you have but assuming its not the Vortex or an older Palmares model, it should ride somewhat similarly to the 853 steel Jamis (subjective statement I realize). If you like consistency, keep the Jamis and use some J.P. Weigel framesaver prior to your next build up. I used it on my Kelly Bonestock and have had no problems despite being a wicked sweat-producer too.

On the other hand, if you want something that "feels" or rides notably differently than the Litespeed, go carbon. Unless you're absolutely sure, I'd look at more carbon frames before necessarily choosing Pedal Force. For example, you could pick up a Giant TCR new or low miles on Ebay for the same amount of coin.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've looked into many CF frames. I wouldn't mind taking a risk on a PD. Again, I've spoken with folks that have ridden and raced them and they have great things to say about them.

Anyway, still looking for someone to give me the final push on what direction to go. I do agree that if I sell it i may regret it down the line when I have to fork out $1000 to $1400 or more for a custom 853 frame.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I certainly appeaciate it, that is why I bought it and rode a steel frame for over 15 years. I still own a Bontrager OR that I bought in 1992, had it reconditioned and ride it to the farmer's market and pick up my son at daycare on.

So appreciation is not an issue. "Desire more" may be the issue though.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.