Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still fairly new to road biking and have been looking to replace the stock Specialized stem that came with my bike. I feel a lot of flexing coming from the bar/stem combo and would like to try replacing the stem first since I like the feel of the bar.

I would like to find the stiffest, reasonably priced ( <$150 ), most reliable, alloy stem out there. So far I've been considering these three:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...d+Wet+Blk&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=22

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...1.8+Black&vendorCode=THOMSON&major=1&minor=22

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...on+31.8+Stem&vendorCode=DEDA&major=1&minor=22

Any thoughts on the above three stems?

Any other suggestions?

Reliability, and stiffness are more important to me than weight, though obviously the lighter the better. I'm 6'2" and around 190lbs if that matters.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thomson

I have owned all three and would recommend the thomson above all else. The Deda Newton is pretty good and actually what I am riding right now. I thought the ritchey 4 axis was fairly flexy. If you are really worried about flex mount one of the thomson 4 bolt stems, they are not even that heavy.

·
Naso Unicornis
875 Posts
CurbDestroyer said:
Well I guess some has to start it, and it might as well be me . . . Thomson.
My personal favorite, any thomson elite.

Good Grief! . . . Just look at it!
I whole heartedly agree. I switched to the the Thomson X2 when I went to ovesize handlebars but the Elite is by far the better stem. It was far stiffer than the X2.

l wish they could make this compatible with Carbon Forks and 31.8mm stems. My Easton fork says not to use opposing wedge types of stems.

CHL

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Thomson Elite does look great, unfortunately I have 31.8mm bar :( My fork is also carbon.. Is the Elite X2 not compatible with carbon steerer tubes?

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Everything is compatible with Carbon. They just say it isn't for liability issues.

The X2 is a great OS stem, I got one and it's really stiff. But then again, I'm anorexic. I can't believe someone could tell the difference between the flex in an X2 and an X4, that to me, seems insane.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Vibe+Stem+Alloy+Thor+H+Series&vendorCode=PRO&major=1&minor=22

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Vibe+Handlebar+Alloy+Thor+H+Series&vendorCode=PRO&major=1&minor=15

I use the Pro Vibe 140mm stem and a 44cm Pro Vibe bars in the links above. This is a really stiff set up.

The stem has a 44mm stack height and a triagle shape, 10% angle. The PV handlebars are oversized until they reach the bends leading to the shifter clamps, this is a teeth rattling stiff bar, zero flex.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everything is compatible with Carbon. They just say it isn't for liability issues.
Why do they think it is a liability?

And thanks for all the input guys and gals. Lots of great looking stems here. Making my decision tougher :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
OS STANDS FOR "OVERSIZED"

Oversized= fits the 31.8mm handlebars.

Then you'll find the stems that have clamps that fit the 25.4 to 26mm handlebars.

Depending on your bars if you want stiff you'll want a 31.8mm bar, triple butted. That's why I mentioned the ProVibe bars because they are 31.8mm for more width of the bar then say a Deda that has a bulge at the stem and then narrows back down for those that prefer a smaller diameter bar for grip or smaller hands.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Alternate approach

DS1239622 said:
I feel a lot of flexing coming from the bar/stem combo and would like to try replacing the stem first since I like the feel of the bar.
Just a thought that maybe you are manhandling your bike and that is your flex problem. If your concern is flex that you feel when just torquing the bars at a standstill, then this is not a "real" issue when riding. Also consider that much of whatever flex you feel is coming from the bars. Except for racing sprints, there is really very little reason for a rider to be applying twisting forces to the bars.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kerry, your probably right, the flex I feel usually comes when Im out of the saddle sprinting up a short steep hill and I do apply twisting forces to the bars. Is this poor form?

·
Registered
832 Posts
DS1239622 said:
Why do they think it is a liability?
Regards carbon and liability issues - the lawyers have taken over marketing. With carbon parts breaking far more often than alloy, if a carbon part were suggested to you for use with an 'X' part, and it broke, a lawyer could mount a lawsuit against the outfit that suggested the carbon-gizmo in the first place. So they don't recommend it to dodge said suit.

Lawyer boiler-plate. Isn't it wonderful?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Aren't all stems stiff? With possibly the exception being the adjustable rise ones?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Peanya said:
Aren't all stems stiff? With possibly the exception being the adjustable rise ones?
Actually I have a Ritchey adjustable-stem in 31.8mm. I, too, thought it wouldn't be stiff/tight and only bought it to take some measurements with. Then I was planning on reselling it on Craig's List or eBay. Boy was I surprised. It was as tight and stiff as a one-piece good stem. So I kept it. It resides on my vintage Puch - which I only feed the most choice components.

So rethink adjustable-stems all being sloppy and wiggly. I'm sure many are. But remove the Ritchey-model from this category. :thumbsup:

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Form?

DS1239622 said:
Kerry, your probably right, the flex I feel usually comes when Im out of the saddle sprinting up a short steep hill and I do apply twisting forces to the bars. Is this poor form?
I wouldn't necessarily call it poor form, but there is no need to be torquing your bars in all but all-out sprint situations. When standing going uphill, your arms are used to support your upper body, not to somehow apply more force to the pedals. Let the bike rock slightly beneath you and concentrate on your pedal stroke.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
ITM K-Sword is one heck of a stiff stem.
They were very expensive but you can find them heavily discount now.
They look pretty cool too if you pair it with K-Sword bar.
I'm 190 lbs and feel no flex at all.
I also had good experience with Stella Azzurra Carbon stem but they are pretty pricey as well.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Peanya said:
No... some stems give a lot of flex. Lots of the handlebar flex people complain about usually isn't because of the handlebars it's because of the stem.

Stem should be the first "flex" target... if that doesn't fix it, then you go for new handlebars. After putting my EA70 handlebars in a EA90 stem, it was a world of difference from the junk it was on previously!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.