Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, a friend of mine is claiming that when he gets his new Sidi shoes his speed will go up instantly by 1mph because they will be much stiffer than what he has now, more power to the pedal yada, yada, yada........ Is this realistic or is he being a bit ambitious?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
esenkay said:
Hi all, a friend of mine is claiming that when he gets his new Sidi shoes his speed will go up instantly by 1mph because they will be much stiffer than what he has now, more power to the pedal yada, yada, yada........ Is this realistic or is he being a bit ambitious?
Thanks.
This is completely off base. Take a normal road shoe, can you flex it? Carbon soles are nice and stiff, and they are light. However, no shoe is going to give you 1mph.

·
Ti me up
1,243 Posts
esenkay said:
Thanks.
He just forgot the decimal point before the 1.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
and the .000

·
Registered
583 Posts
unless he is currently wearing a pair of air jordans with cleats duct taped to them...maybe a little ambitious about a full mile an hour. But...if he is currently riding a plastic sole, there may be a slight change. Sure, you can't flex them with your hands...but quads are a different story. Either way, the placebo effect might get him a mile an hour easy, so let him enjoy the new kicks. Plus his wallet will be significantly lighter, and that may give him a little extra speed.

Now, putting one of the sweet "sidi" stickers that come with the shoes on his helmet or kit somewhere, that will buy him anywhere from 3 to 3.5 miles an hour. We're talking about overall average AND top end speed. I wish i were a sticker guy, i could use the extra juice.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
esenkay said:
Thanks.
what's he riding with now? combat boots? mountain bike shoes?
:confused:

·
Registered
799 Posts
it's possible..

I was a bit shocked at this but agree it's possible.
I had been training on my road bike (Cannondale R2000) for 3 or so years (mtb background) and was using Crank Brother MTB Eggbeater pedals and Vittoria MTB shoes. The shoes are super flexible. Last year I decided it was time for some real road pedals and shoes (Dura Ace pedals and Specilaized Carbon Pro shoes). My 1st ride out on my regular loop I was pretty much a mph faster than my fastest time. I thought this was a fluk and just having a good day. Pretty much every ride after that I was pretty close to being 1 mph faster. I think it's possible by switching to a platform pedal and stiff shoes.

In fact I and looking to get some stiffer shoes now for my MTB - just as soon as I can find a deal on the Specialized BG Carbon Pro MTB shoes - Shimano's or Sidis will be my 2nd choice.

KMan

esenkay said:
Thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
KMan said:
In fact I and looking to get some stiffer shoes now for my MTB - just as soon as I can find a deal on the Specialized BG Carbon Pro MTB shoes - Shimano's or Sidis will be my 2nd choice.
That is the shoe I currently ride with as I have Eggbeaters on the MTB and Quattro's on the road bike, I think the stiffness mainly helps to prevent foot soreness as it takes less effort to keep your foot stiff while pedalling because the shoe itself is stiff so if you have proper pedalling technique to begin with then a stiffer shoe shouldn't give you an instant speed boost but it should help over the longer distances.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I don't think that's realistic, unless he's riding barefooot.

I switched from Specialized MTB shoes -- the kind that flex basically like a stiff sneaker -- to Carbon-soled shoes, and while I noticed a difference, especially in foot comfort, 1mph faster? I don't think so...

Meh, I don't buy it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bas said:
what's he riding with now? combat boots? mountain bike shoes?
:confused:

Ok here is the deal: He rides Shimano MTB shoes (the ones with laces and one velcro strap, so yeah, they are quite flexy). His pedals are Shimano M-520. He is looking to get Sidi Dominator 5's. So having more info, do you still think it's possible?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
When I had installed a new more "aero" fork, I rode faster as well because I was so fricking pleased with the thing. I'm back to my old slow self now, probably time for some new shoes or something. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.