Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In wasting time before class yesterday I found a Martin DM15 all mahogany acoustic for what was about 40% off list. I have the lust bad now, and it is about 4x more what I paid for my current acoustic. It is about 4x nicer, too.

Anyone with experience here regarding this particular model, etc?

General asshattery is OK too, as well as telling me not to get it, which is really what I should do.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
As far as acoustics go, Martins are a safe bet.

They tend to hold their value over time well too.

But, my caution is what I caution everyone who buys guitars with teh
'aliensporebomb guitar buying axiom':

"it doesn't matter what it is or how much it costs, but buy the guitar that you
want to reach for and play all of the time...."

There ya go.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
[...]

But, my caution is what I caution everyone who buys guitars with teh
'aliensporebomb guitar buying axiom':

"it doesn't matter what it is or how much it costs, but buy the guitar that you
want to reach for and play all of the time...."

There ya go.
Ditto that: does it speak to you when you play it? I would also like to add that new Martins, especially the lower half or so of their regular production line, are as name-inflated as any acoustic guitar on the market. 40% off of list probably makes it a pretty good deal, but not a must-buy-or-feel-stupid-later, especially given the current economic climate. Still, overpriced or not Martin doesn't make any trash, and the name alone will keep the resale value from disappearing.

Is this the DM dreadnaught with the laminated mahogany top? I know of a D15 and a DM and have played both, but I haven't specifically seen a DM15...but they're constantly changing the nomenclature on the sub-2k line and I haven't shopped in a year or two.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
Hank Sr played a Martin, I think Neil Young has it now.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,282 Posts
40% off is the usual maximum discount for a Martin. In short, it's a solid price. If the axe speaks to you, get it. The all mahog Martins are fine guitars, too...though the all "hog" construction does work a little bit more successfully for the smaller models than for the dreads.

·
Banned
952 Posts
gutfiddle said:
Please don't compare the Martin he is looking at to one of NY's D45's or pre war dreads. It's silly. What you are looking at is a nice entry level guitar.

PS: A good player can make a bad guitar sound good. The same can not be said in reverse.

·
Banned
952 Posts
10ae1203 said:
In wasting time before class yesterday I found a Martin DM15 all mahogany acoustic for what was about 40% off list. I have the lust bad now, and it is about 4x more what I paid for my current acoustic. It is about 4x nicer, too.

Anyone with experience here regarding this particular model, etc?

General asshattery is OK too, as well as telling me not to get it, which is really what I should do.
The style of music you play will dictate the wood combo's that will best suit you. I'm not a fan of hog as a top wood selection.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
aliensporebomb said:
"it doesn't matter what it is or how much it costs, but buy the guitar that you want to reach for and play all of the time...."
Good advice, but go back and try that one a few times to be sure. If it's right you'll know.

·
half-fast
7,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So if I tell the Mrs. that this guitar will make me play like Neil and Hank Sr., and that respected members of the lownge advise that I simply hafta get it, do you think that'll help?

As far as it talking to me, it says take me home and play with me every time i see it, which is twice now.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
You should get this guitar:

joe

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
You should get this guitar:

joe
holy **** where did you find that??!? do they have a Dale Earnhardt one?!?

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
gutfiddle said:
Yup...he loaned it to Bob Dylan for a while also. I imagine it's worth a ton of $$ just because of the hands that have played it. I think Neil originally bought it from Tut Taylor. He nicknamed it "Hank"

http://www.texastrifles.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html

Here is a quote in an interview with Neil about that guitar:
No, nothing like that. I've got a Hank Williams' guitar, but I play it all the time. It's an old Martin D-28. I bought it from Tut Taylor. It's always great when someone understands what this is that they're holding, who understands the effect Hank Williams had on all of us. They are sort of awestruck by being in the presence of anything that he touched---to the point that to actually play his instrument elevates them to another level. It's a wonderful thing to have a guitar for that reason. A lot of people who should have played it, have played it. I'm careful about it, but I use it all the time. It's not on a wall in a museum.​

1 - 14 of 14 Posts