Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I truely believe cyclists are still doping but how is my question? With Strict doping enforcements, how is possible to get around it today? Can someone fill me in?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
WAZCO said:
I truely believe cyclists are still doping but how is my question? With Strict doping enforcements, how is possible to get around it today? Can someone fill me in?
There is still no test for HGH. Seeing as "cortisone" is almost always one of the drugs mentioned but rarely positives tests, I'd assume that is still relatively easy to use. I wouldn't be surprised if there are riders taking daily microdoses of EPO.

Clearly the Biopassport is still only a threat and has yet to be implemented and clearly the CERA riders last year weren't worried about their undetectable EPO making their blood parameters so OFF that they'd get nabbed. So by extension there must certainly still be riders taking their chances with blood doping and probably some chancing the more unusual EPO variants.

I would suspect even if worried about Biopassport there are riders "microdosing" blood with small extractions and small reinfusions before important events.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Victor Conte explains it well in layman's terms in this two-part interview. He speaks of Olympic sports, but cycling uses the same strategies.

I've seen an interview where he explains that an athlete provides his/her cell phone that will be used as the point-of-contact for scheduling the testing. The athlete fills up the voicemail inbox so that the "I didn't get your message" excuse can be used. That's strike one; no penalty. Meanwhile, you just got a full cycle of PEDs in your training without a test.

Part 1
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2007/05/victor_conte_te.html

Part 2
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2007/05/balco_boss_vict.html

·
Registered
91 Posts
WAZCO said:
Well, Landis could still be doping because the testing at U.S. races is still basically a joke.

As for the European peloton, it's harder now for them to get away with doping, but far from impossible. Something like 800 riders are taking part in the biological passport, and the UCI is apparently getting ready to prosecute between one and six of those 800 based on their passport results. It seems pretty obvious from these numbers that only those few outliers whose numbers are way beyond the pale are in danger of getting nabbed by the passport.

The passport will help to control doping, just like the EPO test did, by forcing riders to keep their doping doses lower than they were in the pre-2001 free-for-all, but it won't stop doping, any more than the EPO test stopped EPO use.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Talk about a scary quote...

This business of “ducking and diving” is where Conte believes the system is beatable. “I don’t consider in-competition testing to even be dope-testing,” he said. “I call that IQ-testing. If you are dumb enough to be caught in a competition, then you are mentally retarded. It’s during the off-season that athletes do their real weight training. That’s where the doping problem has always been.”

·
she keep you buyin rats
317 Posts
There's also still no test for autologous blood doping (reinjecting your own separated blood)... and you could probably do it on a schedule (I'm just guessing) that would make it appear consistent throughout the year. If you could pull off a successful program like this, you would probably be beating guys on EPO.
;-)

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
WeakMite said:
There's also still no test for autologous blood doping (reinjecting your own separated blood)... and you could probably do it on a schedule (I'm just guessing) that would make it appear consistent throughout the year. If you could pull off a successful program like this, you would probably be beating guys on EPO.
;-)
Isn't there some kind of carbon monoxide test for this kind of doping? If so, isn't it then a matter of cost? Meaning you can't go around ordering these kind of tests for everyone due to budgetary constraints?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
MG537 said:
Isn't there some kind of carbon monoxide test for this kind of doping? If so, isn't it then a matter of cost? Meaning you can't go around ordering these kind of tests for everyone due to budgetary constraints?
I don't think there is any test in the pipeline to directly detect autologous blood doping. The blood biopassport is suppose to be the solution, but seeing as not a single rider has yet to be stopped from racing (the old 2 week "health" suspension, similar to when the 50% hematocrit rule was instituted) let alone charged with a doping violation you've got to wonder how effective it is.

As I stated above we know for a fact riders last year were using CERA and therefore not fearing their blood parameters would get sufficiently out of whack to trigger the threatened biopassport criteria (which of course we now know never actually "went live" and therefore was a hollow threat and continues to be just a threat).

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
... The blood biopassport is suppose to be the solution, but seeing as not a single rider has yet to be stopped from racing ...
Wasn't Astana's Vladimir Gusev suspended last year due to that team's internal blood passport system run by Daamsgard?

The cynic in me wonders what he did, to pi$$ off Bruyneel.

Someone else might point to this as proof of the "hog's" 180 degree turn from the past.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
MG537 said:
Wasn't Astana's Vladimir Gusev suspended last year due to that team's internal blood passport system run by Daamsgard?

The cynic in me wonders what he did, to pi$$ off Bruyneel.

Someone else might point to this as proof of the "hog's" 180 degree turn from the past.
Well there's kinds of tinfoil hat conspiracies you could concoct. Why did Contador decide to stay with Astana? Isn't it disturbing when the head of the UCI states he can guarantee Contador is clean? WTF, you've got to be border-line delusional to make that sort of statement about any pro cyclist. Let alone one dominating the sport and linked circumstantially to previous doping.

Then again, McQuaid has also assured us there will be no big doping scandals this year. Seems impossible but could the UCI really going back to trying to cover it all up and sweep things under the carpet as in years past?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts