Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While 90% of my commute was clear this morning, the wooden bridges at Teddy Roosevelt Island show why I'm still riding "The Snowmobile" (Bridgestone MB-2 with Schwalbe Snow Stud tires).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I do love to see folks hit that at speed.

KWL said:
While 90% of my commute was clear this morning, the wooden bridges at Teddy Roosevelt Island show why I'm still riding "The Snowmobile" (Bridgestone MB-2 with Schwalbe Snow Stud tires).
They slide a long way. :eek:

I am always amazed when folks blow by us just as we are slowing down for the ice (we too are running studded tires). You can sure tell the difference between regular and occasional commuters by the way they ride (and fall).

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts
MB1 said:
You can sure tell the difference between regular and occasional commuters by the way they ride (and fall).
I'm an experienced rider/commuter and I'm pretty sure I crashed on that same bridge several years ago -- but it was in the summer.

It was one of the Mt. Vernon trail wooden bridges near Roosevelt Island and there's a quick turn just as you transition from asphalt to wood. There was morning dew on the wood that made it slicker than teflon --- nearly took out a jogger, and I lost several square inches of skin.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I am not sure I know anyone who hasn't crashed there at least once.

ElvisMerckx said:
I'm an experienced rider/commuter and I'm pretty sure I crashed on that same bridge several years ago -- but it was in the summer.

It was one of the Mt. Vernon trail wooden bridges near Roosevelt Island and there's a quick turn just as you transition from asphalt to wood. There was morning dew on the wood that made it slicker than teflon --- nearly took out a jogger, and I lost several square inches of skin.
That would include the Mrs. and me.

Experience teaches you to try to not crash there twice. :D

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
KWL said:
It looks like the path is mostly clear (except for that pesky bridge).

I can't wait to get out there to bike again. Probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MB1 said:
Experience teaches you to try to not crash there twice. :D
Yeah, I've crashed there only once. Well bas, in a few minutes I'll see what that pesky bridge looks like after a few hours at 44°F

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bas said:
It looks like the path is mostly clear (except for that pesky bridge).

I can't wait to get out there to bike again. Probably tomorrow.
Here's what the bridge looked like at the same place around 5:00pm. Down to the wood, but a little further along it's still covered for short stretches.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Thanks for the updates.

KWL said:
Here's what the bridge looked like at the same place around 5:00pm. Down to the wood, but a little further along it's still covered for short stretches.
As you well know this is our usual route home after work. After viewing your photos we decided to skip it last night and stay on the district side of the Potomac (alas that means more crazed rush hour traffic).

What with the forecast temps I figure that by tomorrow the thing ought to be clear and dry.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
MB1 said:
As you well know this is our usual route home after work. After viewing your photos we decided to skip it last night and stay on the district side of the Potomac (alas that means more crazed rush hour traffic).

What with the forecast temps I figure that by tomorrow the thing ought to be clear and dry.

It was alot better this morning.

The other stuff from the last snowfall wasn't as long - but I think this stuff will be
gone real quick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts