Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a fall last week that seems to have jammed or broke something in my right Dura-Ace STI shifter. I can't get it to move up or down. There was not much visible damage except for a few scratches. Are these things rebuildable or am I looking at a new one?

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,749 Posts
kingpin said:
Took a fall last week that seems to have jammed or broke something in my right Dura-Ace STI shifter. I can't get it to move up or down. There was not much visible damage except for a few scratches. Are these things rebuildable or am I looking at a new one?
Methinks you're SOL--unless the "STI overhaul in a can" (i.e. WD40) can fixit

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yeah good luck

kingpin said:
I know of few people that are able to take apart an STI and successfully put it back together. Maybe a Swiss watchmaker with a good microscope. I myself have disassembled and broken Ultegra shifter with no luck in getting it back together. With no manual and no replacement parts available (unless you have another bummed shifter to robs parts from), Shimano leaves you little option other than to buy a whole new one. That's live with Shimano.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sol!!!

I can't imagine it's a wd-40 fix. The thing is less than 3 months old. I've heard they are very complicated gadgets and not to be tackled by the faint of heart, but what have I got to loose?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Go for it then

kingpin said:
I can't imagine it's a wd-40 fix. The thing is less than 3 months old. I've heard they are very complicated gadgets and not to be tackled by the faint of heart, but what have I got to loose?
You might have more fine motor control than I have. I kind of jumped into disassembling it before carefully noting how everything fit together and pretty soon I had tiny springs and ratchets lying all over the place. If you need parts, you might have a hard time tracking them down. Unless your LBS has a dead shifter laying around that you could use as a donor, there isn't much else that can be done. There's also little if any cross-compatibility between different levels of shifters, so you'll most likely need another bummed DA shifter to get parts from. Don't mean to be pessimistic, just want you to know what you might be getting in to! :)

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
I used this exmaple when my buddy was giving me crap about selling my DA for Record. It is NOT rebuildable. You can buy some basic repair parts but opening an STI basically means "BOING!" as the internals fly across the room.

K

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
STI is a great example of the disposable society we live in. I hope you have an arm and leg to spare for a new set. Your first newborn or left nut will also suffice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rowing a similar boat

I've got ultegra 9 speed shifters from around 2000. The right shifter is beginning to free swing without shifting (shifting big lever to easier gear). The bike is going up for sale as my new team will have team bikes this year.

Any ideas of how this may be fixed, or the more likely or should I say, appropriate question, anybody got a working right 9 speed ultergra shifter for sale?

I agree it would be nice to have the item rebuildable, but it is 6 years old so I really can't complain. I just don't want to sell the bike to someone and then they need to replace it immediately.

thanks

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
Wd40?

konaken said:
I've got ultegra 9 speed shifters from around 2000. The right shifter is beginning to free swing without shifting (shifting big lever to easier gear). The bike is going up for sale as my new team will have team bikes this year.

Any ideas of how this may be fixed, or the more likely or should I say, appropriate question, anybody got a working right 9 speed ultergra shifter for sale?

I agree it would be nice to have the item rebuildable, but it is 6 years old so I really can't complain. I just don't want to sell the bike to someone and then they need to replace it immediately.

thanks
Hello,

This could be actually a wd40 fix. I've met a similar problem with some old 7 speed mtb shifters, where the lubricant was old and had gotten sticky into such an extent, that the blocking pads that normally slide into the notches of the ratcheting mechanism to keep the shifter into gear, were almost stuck. The on/off movement of the blocking pads is controlled by small springs that are not strong enough to move the pads if they're full of sticky grease + dirt.
I guess modern STI's are a bit more complicated than 7 spd STI, but a "sticky lubricant" case could be solved by wd40 applied - generously -
on the mechanism. That is, if you have enough access to the mechanism to spray wd40 on.
I hope my explanation is not too tangled up...

Good luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
brblue said:
Hello,

This could be actually a wd40 fix. I've met a similar problem with some old 7 speed mtb shifters, where the lubricant was old and had gotten sticky into such an extent, that the blocking pads that normally slide into the notches of the ratcheting mechanism to keep the shifter into gear, were almost stuck. The on/off movement of the blocking pads is controlled by small springs that are not strong enough to move the pads if they're full of sticky grease + dirt.
I guess modern STI's are a bit more complicated than 7 spd STI, but a "sticky lubricant" case could be solved by wd40 applied - generously -
on the mechanism. That is, if you have enough access to the mechanism to spray wd40 on.

Good luck

Thanks for the advise, I'll give it a try as soon as I get out of the salt mine today!

Ken

·
Springscylist
18 Posts
This might fix it.

konaken said:

thanks

There is a small philips screw on underside of the brake lever at the top. This is best seen with the bike upside down. Tightening this may solve your problem.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Cables?

Check your cables. Could the cable head have become dislodged or something twisted where the housing enters and just binding? Wishful thinking but something to look at before breaking out the credit card.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
Hope this helps...

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Do you have to have STI ?

I would loosen and then remove the shift cable, flush the hell out of the shifter with WD-40 then use a good lube and try to cycle your shifter repeatedly. If this doesn't work you might switch over to Dura Ace bar end shifters. They last a real long time. A new set of STIs are going to be real expensive.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
kingpin said:
Warrantee. Send it in. You will have a new one in 4-5 days. - TF

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks

Thommy said:
I would loosen and then remove the shift cable, flush the hell out of the shifter with WD-40 then use a good lube and try to cycle your shifter repeatedly. If this doesn't work you might switch over to Dura Ace bar end shifters. They last a real long time. A new set of STIs are going to be real expensive.

I'll give them a good cleaning... I am planning on selling the bike as soon as my new race bike comes in. I don't necessarily need STI, but I would prefer them, and if I'm going to try to sell the bike, I think the STI shifters would be more appealing to the next buyer than bar end shifters.

I could be wrong, but I'm trying to market the bike the best way possible.

thanks,

Ken

·
Registered
85 Posts
This may be the ticket to ride!

Just got back from the gym and blasted WD-40 thru the shifter. After letting it drain, I put a shot of teflon lube into the shifter. On the stand it seems to shift fine. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.

Many thanks for the help. Hopefully when I sell the bike in a month or so, the next owner will be just as thankful for your help.

Ken

·
Registered
70 Posts
THe same thing happened to me and lbs said no...

kingpin said:

I would have to get a new shifter.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check the grease in the shifters...

brblue said:
Hello,

Good luck
Something like that happened to me and the shop told me that grease and lube get old and need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts