Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday a less than nice person stole my 9 year old Courierware messenger bag(bought at their now gone store on Mass. Ave in Cambridge). I was just going to order a new one of the same, but I know there are other companies out there that make them too.
I'm not a courier, but I did load up that bag. I work for myself restoring woodwork. I try to keep my driving to minium so I ride my bike as often as I can. I keep most of my tools at the worksite, but I do need to get supplies or shift stuff from jobsite to jobsite. I would load the bag (not all at the same time) with my dye kit, sanding kit, hand tool bag, and I even carried three gallons of paint in it. Damn I loved that bag. Any suggestions?

MK

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Timbuk 2 makes a very nice bag--they have lots of sizes and you can customize colors, etc. I have a small one that's very good--I have a Courierware too, but like the Timbuk 2 better, because they're a little stiffer. That makes it easier to get stuff in and out, I think.

Personally, I only REALLY like the old-school heavy canvas Globe/DiMartini bags, but you can't get them anymore.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chrome or Pac Designs

I've used the Timbuk 2 bags and the Chrome bags and my vote goes to Chrome. Though Pac Designs seems to make a swanky if high priced bag. The reason I pick the Chrome over the Timbuk 2 is that they seem more comfortable and a bit more waterproof. The design of the flaps keeps water out more effectively than the Timbuk 2. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I studied & pondered this a few months ago before settling on a Chrome. I got the Metro, which can hold my usual commute clothing/gear plus groceries, including a gallon of milk & a loaf of bread. The buckle on the Chrome is pretty, but quite functional, too. It's much easier to clip out than to lift a full bag over your helmet.

But even more important than that, the Chrome bag has a gusset that goes from the main body of the bag to the flap. Most other bags I saw (like Timbuk2) didn't have that gusset. The major point for me is that without the gusset you can have a gap between the flap and the bag opening, leaving a nice funnel into the vinyl-lined water-proof bag. The gusset blocks that potential gap. Having just commuted through rain in 45 of the last 50 days, that gusset is a deal-clincher for me.

A down side for me is that Chrome bags tend toward dark or neutral colors. I like to be bright on my bike, so I got the orange Chrome. To brighten the black vinyl trim on the flap I added a few adhesive strips of reflective tape.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
PdxMark said:
To brighten the black vinyl trim on the flap I added a few adhesive strips of reflective tape.
Best modification yet for my Chrome was a strip of reflective tape. I've been told it really jumps out at dusk.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Chrome Backbone! Comfortable, waterproof, lots of pockets, and huge without obscuring your peripheral vision. I commute throughout the winter here in Chicago and all my work clothes, shoes, and winter jacket fit in this thing without a problem. Go here for the best price I was able to find on the net: http://www.nybmf.org/

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chrome it is. Thanks for all the input.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Got the chrome as well. Comfy and roomy. My biggest load to date is a case of diapers.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Actually, I went to the store and bought a case diapers and cycled home with them in my Chrome. I do have a small Crumpler Weenie bag that is used from time to time as a diaper bag. While it's a nice diaper bag, the coolest diaper bag I own is my Maxpedition Jumbo bag. I just like it because it carries everything I could possibly need for myself and my daughter in a very compact, waterproof, stainproof package.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another vote for Chrome

I have two sizes - a citizen and a metropolis. The quality of materials and construction are fantastic. They are very waterproof (you can use them as an ice cooler if you want). Contents settle securely and comfortably. The buckle assembly is solid and adjusts will zero effort allowing you to snug the bag securely and comfortably to your back then loosen the strap with a flick of the wrist enabling you to easily spin the bag around to your front to access the contents. Made in house in San Francisco. I can't say enough good things.

Cheers.

·
Hill repeats, meh
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FWIW, I ended buying the BaileyWorks SuperPro 2000 (large). I was going to get a Chrome, but BaileyWorks is more local and it seemed important to me. So far I'm digging it.

MK

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
jgrantv10 said:
I have two sizes - a citizen and a metropolis. The quality of materials and construction are fantastic. They are very waterproof (you can use them as an ice cooler if you want). Contents settle securely and comfortably. The buckle assembly is solid and adjusts will zero effort allowing you to snug the bag securely and comfortably to your back then loosen the strap with a flick of the wrist enabling you to easily spin the bag around to your front to access the contents. Made in house in San Francisco. I can't say enough good things.

Cheers.
Chrome really is awesome. When I first got mine, I filled it with water to see if it's really waterproof. It is. The flap design is also very effective, as is the strap design.

Plus, they are very cool and easy-going to deal with!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Tried on a Chrome at a shop in SF and it may be my next bag. But if you're still open to options, the Velonews buyer's guide has little sidebar stories about their staff's favorite things... one of them is a handmade messenger bag by someone back in the Northeast, commuter specialties or something like that? The mag gives the url, sorry I don't have it with me.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Major Kong said:
FWIW, I ended buying the BaileyWorks SuperPro 2000 (large). I was going to get a Chrome, but BaileyWorks is more local and it seemed important to me. So far I'm digging it.

MK
I have been to baileyworks in portsmouth and you can em making the bags right there. worth the trip, and you can go to the smuttynose brewery down the street for a pop.

just curious: for your work have you considered a trailer? THere are some nice ones that fit a big rubbermaid tote. you could haul alot that way.

i like panniers. there are some big ones out there and it keeps the wieght on the bike. pop on and off easily. lots of wind drag, tho.

messenger bags are so freakin' expensive. i think because they are super trendo these days with the hipsters. also because they are high quality made in the USA....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts