1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
I said it once, and I'll say it again a million times more...

Buy a better lock! Everyone splurges on the bike, nobody buys a real bike lock.

G

·
About the locks, I had a bike get stolen my first few months of bike commuting to college (I was using a chain with combo lock -- the problem is the combinations themselves are trivial to break)

When I bough a replacement a $550-new-old-stock Trek hybrid bike, I purchased two U-locks -- A Kryptonite New York Fahgeddabout it, (which I left on the rack at campus near the lab where I worked), and a second, Ordinary Kryptonite New York U-Lock, which I carried on my bike's rear rack at all times. I used the Fahgeddaboutit to lock the rear wheel/frame, and used the larger but light New York lock to secure the Front Wheel and Frame. The 2 U-Locks had a combined weight of more than half the weight of my bike, lol.

A determined thief with the right tools could still pretty easily get through both my U-Locks if they wanted to (even the 3/4" Steel New York, which is thick enough to deter ordinary boltcutters). I heard campus police once caught a bike thief with an Acetylene torch hidden in a backpack, simply melting through locks. There's pretty much no stopping that, and a torch wouldn't even make any noise like a cordless grinder...

Another wise move is to park bikes on racks out in the open, especially within line-of-sight of popular hiding spots for Campus Police Motorcyles (eg speed traps/ stop light traps), rather than in back alleys out of sight. Another good plan is to park next to a more expensive bike with a cheaper lock (I used to park next to a guy with a ~$1k+ road bike and only one U-Lock)

Though m bike never got stolen, I did once try to ride home only to find my pedals had been stolen (stock platforms with toe clips). I imagined three possible scenarios:

(1) Thief was trying to prevent me from leaving so he could come back in the middle of the night and steal the bike with better tools
(2) Thief had already stolen a more expensive bike with clipless pedals, but didn't have cleats on him, so had to swap on some platform pedals to make a getaway.
(3) Thief was just being a d1ck and had no additional plan/strategy

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
The thing with "nice" bike locks is... if you register they're a warranty on it. Not to mention homeowner's/renter's insurance.

Locking up any nice bike with a 15 dollar lock isn't gonna cut it. I locked up my pretty expensive commuter outside all year round with two NY locks and nobody touched it. It's not like it looked like a beater either.

G

·
The thing with "nice" bike locks is... if you register they're a warranty on it. Not to mention homeowner's/renter's insurance.
While these warranties are better than nothing, they're not really insurance against bike theft as the ads imply. Claims are only valid if mechanical failure of the lock using manual tools can be proven, eg if someone cuts the lock with boltcutters, or pries the lock open with a long pipe/lever or breaks the tumblers with a chisel etc and conveniently leaves the lock behind for you to send back to the manufacturer as "evidence".

They don't cover you if the lock is cut with a cordless grinder, or an acetylene torch, or if the thief cuts the rack your bike is locked to, and tosses the bike onto the back of a pickup truck, etc. That's because there's really no way to make a lock protect against any of those things...

Also, my renters insurance (and most policies I know of) will cover you if your bike is stolen from inside your house/apartment, but not if it's locked up outside in some random seedy alleyway -- you'd probably need some expensive special rider on your insurance to protect you in that case, if they'd even cover it at all.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
So you're saying the thieves want to take the remnants of the broken lock that weights like 8-15 lbs? with them... as a trophy of sorts.

The thieves in your area are weird. Most of mine look for the easiest target, those are the 5-20 dollar locks.

NY locks aren't bombproof, but they take minutes to undertake rather than mere seconds. I want you to hacksaw through an NY lock. I bet you can't do it in less than 20 mins.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.