Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my sweet new Carbon Fork in the mail. I think that they sent me the wrong size. Where do I measure to find what size steerer they sent me. I am getting 1 1/16 now. I think I am doing it wrong. I am guessing that if I could measure around the dropout that would make the other 16th inch up. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
steer tube

rocklax said:
Just got my sweet new Carbon Fork in the mail. I think that they sent me the wrong size. Where do I measure to find what size steerer they sent me. I am getting 1 1/16 now. I think I am doing it wrong. I am guessing that if I could measure around the dropout that would make the other 16th inch up. Thanks.
It should be the same size all along the steer tube, except right at the bottom, where it might flare a bit to hold the lower race in place.

Just try sliding your headset or stem parts over it and see how it goes.
 

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DougSloan said:
It should be the same size all along the steer tube, except right at the bottom, where it might flare a bit to hold the lower race in place.

Just try sliding your headset or stem parts over it and see how it goes.
What happens if it is a little loose? Is that ok?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
tight

rocklax said:
What happens if it is a little loose? Is that ok?
Should be a fairly tight fit, at least for the bearing races; I've had to pound pretty hard to get lower races on; give us some details re:

1. what size is is supposed to be? 1, or 1 1/8?

2. threaded or no-thread?

3. carbon, alum, or steel steerer?

4. make of headset?

5. What type of stem do you have
 

·
TAPTAP..Is this thing on?
Joined
·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
DougSloan said:
Should be a fairly tight fit, at least for the bearing races; I've had to pound pretty hard to get lower races on; give us some details re:

1. what size is is supposed to be? 1, or 1 1/8?

2. threaded or no-thread?

3. carbon, alum, or steel steerer?

4. make of headset?

5. What type of stem do you have
1 1/8
unthreaded
carbon
Fetish
haven't bought one yet.

i am building something new from the ground up...

Full Carbon
-Integrated Crown
-1 1/8 Steerer
-Semi-Aero Legs
-Reinforced Aluminum Coupler On Steerer
-Hand Built
-Aluminum Drop Out
-495g Uncut
 

·
your text here
Joined
·
13,198 Posts
the four forks i have installed have all had different stories. the first two were mountain bike forks. took a while to get the crown race seated on those, but being as the legs were metal i could go to town. the 3rd frok was a 1" carbon road fork. the crown race was very difficult to seat. with carbon legs i couldnt really pound DOWN, so i did the next worst thing. i installed the cups and then jammed the fork into the cups until the crown was on. not the greatest thing to do, but it worked.

with this last fork, cheap-o performance 1 1/8" carbon with alloy steerer, the crown race went on smooth as silk. however, when i installed the bearings and all into the integrated cups, i was left with a slight "gap" ( about 1 mm) between the top of the headtube and headset cap. i was told you cant really mill out the inside of the headtube. anyway, the fork was very "loose" until the bearings were installed, i had the compression ring on, and the top cover of the headset on. slid on some spacers, stem, and there she blows! no jiggle. my first time with an IS headset. nice to not have to deal press in cups, but teh space bugs me a bit. plus i ordered black from nashbar and they sent me silver. not worth the effort to ship back...

by the way, the frame is a fetish cycles SAC, all red and sexy. took a while to get the frame, and the guy would not return my emails or phone calls after ordering the frame. other than that, the frame is sweet, sassy, light, and i should be finished building her up tonight or tomorrow. my first bike from scratch, including wheels. im a bit nervous of the wheels. i have seen some other people's reviews of fetish, and they all seem to be happy, except a few of us with some communication "problems."
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top