Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a new wheelset and my dilemma is finding a reasonably light wheel that won't flex under hard efforts. I run around 180-185 lbs. and have been riding Ksyrium SL's and I also had a set of Bontrager X-Lites for a period last summer. When I'm out of the saddle and putting in a heavy effort, I was flexing the bejesus out of both of those wheelsets, especially the rear wheel.

Can anyone please recommend a reasonably light wheelset that will resist flex better? I like a good-looking wheelset but if I have to choose I'll take whatever will work. Costs need to stay under $900 and, of course, the lower the better! Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
were the spokes properly tensioned on the ksyriums? they are reported to be pretty stiff...

if not, then u gotta go the traditional way of a whack load of spokes laced to a strong rim! like 32 to a cxp33...those are mad strong.

open pros arent shabby either!

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
As you are looking for wheels, note that more spoke and heavier gauge spokes makes wheels stiffer. A rim similar to Velocity's Deep V is stiff. Hub flange geometry plays a role albiet a much smaller role.

You want stiff wheels:

Velocity Deep V (or similar)
2.0/1.8/2.0mm spokes
any one of the high quality hubsets out there
32 spokes 3 cross all around

You will have wheels that have the stiffness and steering presicion that you won't find in wheels costing twice as much and half the weight.

-Eric

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
boroef said:
were the spokes properly tensioned on the ksyriums? they are reported to be pretty stiff...
K's really aren't that stiff, esp the rear....

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i only weigh 173, so not sure this helps

but i don't flex my american classic cr 420 at all.
i also like my eurus better than my protocols (ritchey) better than my sestriere (rolf)

however i don't find any to be that bad. all are sub 1500 gram range.
i think the sestriere are lighter than the others though.

slightly heavier but good are record hubs to velocity aerohead rims
hopefully someone at your weight will chime in--and you are certain it is the wheel and not your rear end flexing?

jim

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
CRM said:
I'm looking for a new wheelset and my dilemma is finding a reasonably light wheel that won't flex under hard efforts. I run around 180-185 lbs. and have been riding Ksyrium SL's and I also had a set of Bontrager X-Lites for a period last summer. When I'm out of the saddle and putting in a heavy effort, I was flexing the bejesus out of both of those wheelsets, especially the rear wheel.

Can anyone please recommend a reasonably light wheelset that will resist flex better? I like a good-looking wheelset but if I have to choose I'll take whatever will work. Costs need to stay under $900 and, of course, the lower the better! Thanks.
So what's wrong with D/A hubs laced to a pair of Reflex/Open Pro rims? No flex in my set...

OR build a pair of 24/28 Zipp 404s with 14/15 spokes. Should be OK under your weight. (was under mine...)

M

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ergott said:
As you are looking for wheels, note that more spoke and heavier gauge spokes makes wheels stiffer. A rim similar to Velocity's Deep V is stiff. Hub flange geometry plays a role albiet a much smaller role.

You want stiff wheels:

Velocity Deep V (or similar)
2.0/1.8/2.0mm spokes
any one of the high quality hubsets out there
32 spokes 3 cross all around

You will have wheels that have the stiffness and steering presicion that you won't find in wheels costing twice as much and half the weight.

-Eric
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been considering a custom build like that. How heavy do you think that build would be with, say, Chris King hubs? Would the additional weight of this build be worth the added stiffness? Thanks again. - Craig

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike's rear-end not the problem

hopefully someone at your weight will chime in--and you are certain it is the wheel and not your rear end flexing?[/QUOTE said:
While "my" rear end might have something to do with it, it's definitely not the bike's rear-end. It's a Trek Madone 5.9 SL. I may have 15 pounds or so on Lance, but I figure if he doesn't flex it, I seriously doubt that I would.

I only noticed the wheel flex after I got the Madone last summer. Before that, my previous frame was small diameter steel and I think it probably just flexed right along with the wheels so I didn't notice it as much. After I got the Madone I started noticing the rims touching the brake pads on out-of-the-saddle steep sections.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
CRM said:
Thanks for the recommendation. I've been considering a custom build like that. How heavy do you think that build would be with, say, Chris King hubs? Would the additional weight of this build be worth the added stiffness? Thanks again. - Craig

They would about 1800g flat.

-Eric

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
CRM said:

Sorry two part question. King hubs are very reliable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts