Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
I'd take 85 through Bolton/Hebron as much as I could. 195 South to Willi/Windham, then something that parrallels Rte. 6 to 66 West in Columbia, then Rte 66 W into Hebron, then 85 N from the center of Hebron, past Gay City SP, into Manchester, where you can pick up the bike path that parallels I-384 (Junction of 384 and 83), which gets you a good way into E. Hartford. Then take Silver Lane to the Founders Bridge and you're in Hartford.

It would be a long, busy slog (40 miles?), but it's more downhill than up! Good luck!!

· Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
85 is a great call, except it doesn't go anywhere near Storrs.

You can go to Willi to pick up the Rail Trail that roughly follows Rt 6 to Bolton, and from there, pick up Middle Turnpike from Bolton to Manchester, and then from there, into E Hartford. The RT along 6 is a great path, but it's dirt the entire way, with many muddy spots.

I would go from Storrs to Willimantic to Rt 66 to 85. At the intersection with Rt 6, and for a little while after, 66 is trafficky, but it cools out after a while and turns into a nice hilly farmland ride. Once in Hebron, you can't miss the intersection with 85. Take a right, and follow that for more farmish riding to Manchester. Take a left on 44/Middle Turnpike (hungry? stop at Shady Glen for a cheeseburger), and you're in East Hartford in about 15 miles.

I know the area well - grew up in EH, went to Eastern CT State U. Live in Newington, and regularly ride from Newington to Bolton through EH.

· Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
PCM said:
ECSU '89 here... what about you?
I should have been 89, but I took great advantage of the 'recreational' choices, and needed an attitude adjusment. Lived in Burnap freshman year.

I finally got my degree in '92, after a stint in the Navy, and a restart. We prolly crossed paths at one point or another.

When I went back in '88, I lived at the corner of Maple and Spruce, and then moved to Foster Dr...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.