Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for information on components to do a straight bar conversion for an extra road bike that I have. The bike has a 105 rear. Shimano's web page lists shifters and brake levers for straight bar conversions, any other resources? I have an extra set of MTB shifters (deore) but have no idea if they would work with the 105. Any suggestions would be helpful. looking to do this as cheaply as possible. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Done it twice w/no problem

Fifteen years or so ago, when mountain bikes were getting big around here and I couldn't afford one, I "hybridized" a Trek tourer w/flat bars, the biggest cross tires I could fit and lower gearing. Everything worked (this was in the friction-shift days), and I rode it pretty seriously offroad for two or three years.
More recently, when my wife (a very occasional rider) admitted she never felt safe or comfortable on her road bike, I swapped the bars for flat ones. We had some old MB levers around, and they worked fine with the road brakes. I lucked out and found a set of Deore XT thumbshifters for a few bucks at a swap. No issues at all, and she loves it.
I'm not sure about newer Shimano stuff (somebody will correct me if I'm wrong), but I've swapped mid-'90s cassettes back and forth between mountain and road drivelines with no problems. I assume the spacing etc. is the same and they're interchangeable.

·
Registered
679 Posts
The rear shifters will absolutely not be a problem. Shimano road and mtb cassettes are completely interchangeable, so the indexing for the rear shifter is identical.

I've heard different things about the front derailleur/shifter, so I'll leave that to others to comment. Are you running a triple or double crank in the front?

·
Registered
679 Posts
On his Web site, Sheldon Brown implies that there will be issues with the front derailleur:

"The ratio of cable movement to derailer movement differs with Shimano's "road" vs. "MTB" front derailers. This can cause indexing problems if you use a "road" front derailer with upright handlebars or a "MTB" front derailer with drop handlebars."

I'm sure someone has direct experience with this and can point you in the right direction. As you said, Shimano sells the straight bar conversion shifters, which is the solution that Kona uses for its straight bar road bike (Dr. Dew) which uses road cranks.

If the conversion shifters are too spendy, you might look into friction thumbshifters or even replacing the road crank with an mtb crank/mtb front derailleur.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
I built my wife’s flat bar...

with XTR shifters, Ultegra triple crankset and FD, and XT Cassette and RD. Works beautifully. Using a road rear would also work fine.

TF

·
Registered
132 Posts
sanrensho said:
On his Web site, Sheldon Brown implies that there will be issues with the front derailleur:

"The ratio of cable movement to derailer movement differs with Shimano's "road" vs. "MTB" front derailers. This can cause indexing problems if you use a "road" front derailer with upright handlebars or a "MTB" front derailer with drop handlebars."
Another urban legend it isn't a problem at all. Many tandems use MTB front derailleurs and road shifters /issue with oversized clamp/ and it works flawlessly, first hand experience.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Are you turning a straight bar gay or vice versa?

Could be quite a task either way. Many people are pretty well set on their sexual orientation and prefer drinking with like minded folks.

·
all the gear - no idea
268 Posts
damn, you stole all my jokes...

rusa1586 said:
Could be quite a task either way. Many people are pretty well set on their sexual orientation and prefer drinking with like minded folks.
it gets worse when you start talking 'oversize', stems and clamps etc

it must be a quiet day in paradise...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.