Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old lady just got a cross frameset, and we'll be building it up from the parts bin and other sundry sources. She wants to build it up with straight mtb bars. My question is, what size stem?

My first guess is something a bit longer than the equivalent road stem, so that the grips are a bit forward of where the road tops would be, but a bit back of where the road hoods would be.

Any tips from people with, say, mtb racing experience and such, would be full appreciate.

· Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joshua Pattersnap said:
What is the effective TT of the cross bike? And does she have a mountain bike or other bike with flat bars you can compare the ETT to?
The question is more of a theoretical one, i.e. how would the "ideal" flat bar placement compare with the "ideal" drop bar placement, given the same frame.

· Registered
638 Posts
Id say just figure what stem she would normally have used with drops. Then measure where the flats would be compared to steerer tube as well as where the hoods would be compared to the steerer. Then take halfway between the two and the difference should be your stem length. Have you considered bullhorns? its basically a flat bar with barends built in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.