Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a fixie out of my old niskiki road bike. I decided to go with a set of straight bars I had on a retired mountain bike. They are really wide and I am not sure how much to cut them down. Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks
Ted

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
When I had some risers on my commute bike I used those lockdown grips and kept moving them inward until they were uncomfortable. Then moved them back to the last comfortable position and cut. It ended up being just about the same width as my shoulders, maybe a little less.

·
Registered
85 Posts
hmm, maybe i'll try that.

asterisk said:
When I had some risers on my commute bike I used those lockdown grips and kept moving them inward until they were uncomfortable. Then moved them back to the last comfortable position and cut. It ended up being just about the same width as my shoulders, maybe a little less.

good answer and well thought out! i just measured out 40 cm (the widest i thought i could go without clipping car mirrors) and cut. it happened to work for me, but i like your way a whole lot better.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
I learned by watching others make the mistake of cutting them way too short. In an effort to "messengerfy" his bike one friend cut down a straight bar so there was only room for the grips, no bare bar was showing. It was kind of cool but uncomfortable as hell.

But straight bars are cheap now with all the mountain bikers switching over to risers, you can usually pick up a used bar at your LBS for a few bucks. So I wouldn't worry too much if you need to try it a few times.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.