Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any sort of adjustment stuff you can do to a bike after you get it to make it fit better? As it is, my arms are pretty much straight unless I really concentrate on keeping them bent.

·
448 Posts
If it is fit properly then it might be a situation of just teaching yourself to ride with bent arms. If it was giving only a quick fit, then there are other options but a lot can change from a small change in fit. You may need a shorter stem, or raise your handlebars of move your seat forward.

Can you post any pictures or give us any more info

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
agm2 said:
If it is fit properly then it might be a situation of just teaching yourself to ride with bent arms. If it was giving only a quick fit, then there are other options but a lot can change from a small change in fit. You may need a shorter stem, or raise your handlebars of move your seat forward.

Can you post any pictures or give us any more info
Yeah. I don't have my camera tonight but I will tomorrow probably. The seat is as far forward is it goes and I think the handlebars are as high as they'll go. It was a pretty quick fit so probably not the best.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
Hey, it's only money, so a "quick fit" was probably good enough.

·
448 Posts
MWPDX said:
Yeah. I don't have my camera tonight but I will tomorrow probably. The seat is as far forward is it goes and I think the handlebars are as high as they'll go. It was a pretty quick fit so probably not the best.
Assuming it's a bike fit problem then it's either stem length or a bike that is too large for you. Let's hope it's incorrect rider position, which is quite easy to fix. I'll check back tomorrow.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It sounds like you have some serious fit issues, but I don't think fixing the fit will help you bend your arms.

Being able to achieve proper fit on a bike is as much about geometry as it is fitness. First you need to have flexibility in your legs and hips. Then you need a strong core.

For a long time stretching and core work were big no-no's for cyclists. Flexible legs meant no power, and a six pack restricted your breathing. Of course these people also thought the world was flat. These days yoga and sit-ups are a big part of a PRO's off season.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
MWPDX said:
The last thing you want to do to relax your arms is to move your seat forward. Moving the seat forward will put more weight on your hands & usually results in the need to stiffen the elbows to keep you from falling forward.

Balance on a bike starts with the location of the butt IMO. Stand up straight and bend over at the waist without bending your knees........you reach a point where you will fall forward if you are not careful. OTOH, bend forward slowly while pushing your butt out backwards by bending your knees.........you can bend to horizontal easily by using your butt as a counterweight. Now put that over the bike.

That's why fit starts with the Height of the seat & the location of the KOP........because for most people, that places the butt in the vicinity of a balanced position.

If you can't ride bent over at the waist with your hands off the bars easily....your core is inadequate and/or your seat is too far forward.

Once you get your seat correct....then you can worry about reach and bar height.

Run your numbers through a fit calculator, paying particular attention to seat height and setback.......get that right and you'll have a better idea of what your problem really is.

len

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
funktekk said:
It sounds like you have some serious fit issues, but I don't think fixing the fit will help you bend your arms.
Fixing the fit is the first step. Otherwise you are just training your body to sustain an unbalanced riding position, which negatively impacts handling as well as comfort.

·
Registered
323 Posts
As others have said it might be that your bike fit is off or that the way you are sitting on the bike might be off. It's impossible to tell in this case not seeing you on the bike, going down the road.

If the fit is right (a big IF) then it may be that you are sitting on the bike in a way that is causing your issue. Some folks sit on the saddle like it's a bar stool and then bend forward with their middle and upper back to reach the bars. This can make the reach seem too long/low and cause the straight elbow thing you are experiencing. If this is the case and you rotate your hips forward some (not to the extent that your soft tissue is supporting your weight instead of your sit bones) you'll find your reach seems shorter and your elbows may have the slight natural bend they should have for the best comfort and performance.

It's easy to try and completely free.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts