Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With two weeks to go before my first real test of the season I still feel way behind on my base miles. I've been trying, but my schedule is completely whacked out. So with a full day in front of my yesterday I took off for a solo century. Its still early in the year and the geared roadie is still mothballed, so I took the fix and the easiest course I could come up with. 100 miles with no coasting hurts any way you slice it though. Don't let MB1 tell you different.

About half the route is on this buzzy surface, but if you keep the tire pressure down just a bit its not a problem at all.

Wateree General Store at 35 miles in. Take a right here and things get ugly...

This is what greets you when you make a right at that stop sign. 5 miles, dead straight across the floodplain, minimal to no shoulder, 55mph speed limit. Not my idea of a good time.

Luchtime on a Sunday in the SC boonies.

Heading home. I managed a negative split. Always a good thing. :)

The outer half of the ride was through cotton country. Pretty much featureless terrain. Here's an old sharecropper house.

The gauntlet heading back. Going this way you drop down the bluff as you cross the river. The floodplain -- basically a levee with a road on top -- is off in the distance.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
I have to ask if you get bored with the straight, flat, non scenic roads?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Puleeze.....

wooglin said:
Don't let MB1 tell you different.
Riding fixed you don't have to lift your feet, the bike does it for you = half the work as riding free.

Actually we rode gears this weekend in the hills and wind, I really noticed how much time I spent coasting. It was fun but you wouldn't want to do it all that often.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MB1 said:
Riding fixed you don't have to lift your feet, the bike does it for you = half the work as riding free.
Uh huh. Yup. Sure. ;)

MB1 said:
Actually we rode gears this weekend in the hills and wind, I really noticed how much time I spent coasting. It was fun but you wouldn't want to do it all that often.
Its not the coasting so much as the ability to stretch on the bike. Not too easy with a fixed gear.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bigrider said:
I have to ask if you get bored with the straight, flat, non scenic roads?
Non-scenic?? What do you want, strip malls? - TF

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
I know there are a whole lot of places worse than this to ride but when I ride flat, straight farm roads where there are miles of cornfield the scenery gets less than exciting.

The bad part of that is what you are saying. If it is replaced with crappy congested non artistic strip malls and parking lots, sure I will take the cornfields.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
good luck at the OC. I'm doing the Sunday "race". Oh, they cleaned up a few rock gardens on big brushy, still left plenty though.

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be fine Saturday but then I get to ride it again on Sunday. That's the part that's got me nervous. Fear of failure is a great motivator though. :)

I'm sure I'll be the only South Carolina car there. Green Element. And Sunday I'll be the guy regularly missing shifts on a borrowed Lenz Leviathan. Say howdy if you see me.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
Are you sweeping on Sunday or racing? Geez, I really can't imagine doing full route on back to back days.

I'll prob wear a MTBR jersey, blue spec enduro. I'm staying at the same motel as last year on Sat night, white Isuzu Trooper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.