Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Not really.

I think my favorites have always been your close-ups of local statues. There were a few I recall that were taken just after it had rained. I don't recall which one it was specifically, but there were two or three nurses and I think the media was bronze, but I'm not sure. Those are phenomenal.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BuckeyeBiker said:
.... there were two or three nurses and I think the media was bronze, but I'm not sure. Those are phenomenal.
The Vietnam Women's Memorial

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Nice...a little straghtening & that first one is primo.

Len

·
Lemur-ing
18,987 Posts
Cool. The first image looks like it's tilted a little IMO.

:D

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sorry, but none of them do it for me. I like the third one the best. I find the washington monument splitting the frame in two very distracting.

·
...?
1,481 Posts
Meh.... something about the monument splitting the image in half kinda bothers me. Maybe because the left side is so much darker?

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
MB1 said:
The Vietnam Women's Memorial
That's it:thumbsup: . I don't know how to articulate it but those really do it for me. I think there were a few more in that set...

·
Registered
850 Posts
you're gonna get mugged down there late at night. Just relaying from what I see on the (d.c.) local news. It's been in the papers, no secret. Though you may think your milage may vary, and I hope so. Early morn's seem OK, Late nights, Asking for it.

I hope YMMV.

Have lived in the metro area all my life. And held up at gun point in DC, on Florida ave. A gun to your head will question why you are there to begin with. Please use caution. We do enjoy your post's.

BIGBOB, who at one point in time.......was not so big. Compared to a gun.
Remove gun, different story. Did not stop kicking azz till the gun was presented, and skinny locals are just enugh to warm up on. And 2 at that. But a .25 is enough to cease and desist, if you have half a brain.
Yes, I've had a gun to my head.

I knew when to say I'm done. And when it's smart to do so. Things have gotten worse , and you have heard of the stories. Am only asking to be carefull while provideing these beautifyll pic's. Or Images, depending on what side of the fence you are on.

This was in the early 80's, but I can read the news like you. I think things have gotten worse. Don't know if you you agree. Were you here in the late 70's early 80's? was some rough going.

Still think it is. A gun in your direction is a very humbling experience. And still not uncommon. In retrospect, shoulda kicked the guys azz with the pistol, he was the smaller of the two. And was not having any trouble with him to that point. Until the losing team (them) realized the same And pulled a handgun at that time. Problem being you are not allowed to protect yourself in the DC area. At least back then. Disadvantage ME.

But descretion being the better part of valor.......

An armed society is a polite society....heard that somewhere, and I believe.

Oh. and I today may or may not have a little sumpthin, sumpthin, when in areas where I may need it. Laws be damned, Past experience rules. My and mine safety rules. Have tought my kids to tell me if they see a gun. They've told me about my pistol under the seat in the truck in the past. And good on them. And they both know how to load and fire single action handguns, Also 22's, and center fire rifles. And how to safely handle the same. And still told me there was a handgun under my seat. They know the rules, one day they'll know the whys.

Once bitten, twice shy.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BIGBOB said:
you're gonna get mugged down there late at night. ...... held up at gun point in DC, on Florida ave. .....Once bitten, twice shy.
1) The Mall ain't Florida Ave.

2) It wasn't all that late.

3)The joint was jumping.

4) But yes, I do pay attention.

5) I was actually there for the moonrise.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Now that is a keeper

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
No criticism here, only my preferences:

Seems like a framing between 1 and 2 would work. I like the detail that comes out on the dome in 1, but it's not quite balanced. 2 seems unbalanced to the negative space on the right (and loses the detail.) It feels like there's an inbetween that is 'just right', though I can't say where. Maybe enough to get the WWII solidly in frame - it appears to be bleeding off the edge, and wants to have a small image border before the hard stop.

There's an old compositional rule about not splitting the image with the horizon. Night and water reflection mess with that, but still I'd probably bias towards moving the horizon up in this case - the reflecting pool being much more interesting than the ink-black sky.

Post camera, it might be nice to take the face of our nation's phallus down a stop or so.

Moonrise shot is nice. Might be my monitor, but it's showing just a little too blue. It could also be simply because of comparison to the mercury vapor lamps in the other shots. Might not seem that way on it's own.

Agree that I've always liked your statuary shots. Happen to have anything you like from the Einstein memorial?

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I have to agree with one of the earlier posts. I really like the close ups of the statues, but, only when it's cloudy. Something about the color of the statue really jumps out at me with the light from an overcast day. When it's sunny, too many of the little nuances of the statue are lost in glare. Plus, those memorials always seem contradictory to be shot in warm, sunny, happy weather. The moon shot is nice, but you've shot a lot better ones than what you posted. I do agree that a lot of Washington moument shots get posted, but, taken at sunrise or sunset, those shots are beautiful. A couple of years ago? you took some great shots of the Cherry Blossoms too. Keep 'em comming!! not c()de.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
danl1 said:
.... Happen to have anything you like from the Einstein memorial?
I'm a big fan of the ones that sell!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
Rule of thirds FTW! :wink:
Ya, but sometimes you just can't. :(

And sometimes you just don't want to! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts