Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a ton of back and forth dialogue regarding the virtues and pitfalls of clip-in vs straps but have not seen to many folks who ride with just straight platforms? I am planning on commuting on the fixie about 22 miles roundtrip all on flat S. Jersey roads with a fair amount of back roads traffic and normal suburban congestion at intersections.

Any reason I am unaware of for using just plain platform pedals?

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
It's hard to keep your feet on the pedals when you're slowing down. If it's a casual ride, no problem. If it's a faster ride, use caution, etc. It's perfectly doable, though.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
It can be done, but it's not much fun, and generally not for inexperienced fixed users. Oddly, it's harder than whatever sort of foot containment one chooses. Until your brain is wired to always moving the feet, it's unnerving to ride without some connection. And even for an experienced fixer, it remains a bit less efficient and a bit less safe.

That assumes that brakes are installed and used. Brakeless and free-footed is a really bad idea.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree completely about the brakeless + foot free thing.

It's more difficult to skid stop when your foot isn't attached to the pedal in some fashion. When I skid I pull up on one pedal while pushing down on the other, without straps I probably wouldn't be able to stop very quickly.

·
chica cyclista
2,842 Posts
who rides straight platforms on a FIXED (not SS)? um...

... quite a few of the muppets in flip-flops here on campus that we've seen coming into the medical clinic with dinged up shins :rolleyes:

it can be done. I personally wouldn't recommend it especially if you're not that experienced a fixte rider. if you really want to ride flats and/or street shoes, then I'd recommend using a flipflop hub and flip it when you're not planning on being clipped in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.