Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!

My name is Sarah. I have recently bought an old race bike and since I don't know much about bikes, I need some advice from some fellow riders about the rims.

Here is the situation. This morning, I realized that one of my tyre was punctured so I took it off the weel to fix it. But then, I realized that the rim doesn't have hooks. Here is a picture of it:

View attachment 280686

I am a bit confused because I read that straight sided rims should be used only with glued tubular tyre and not with normal tyre and inner tube. What do you think about it? I reckon that road/race bike often get punctures so it would not be very convenient if I had to get tubulare tyre.

Any advice? Well, as you can see on the picture the wheel is quite old and a bit rusty, so I could probably change it but I was hopping not to spend to much money on this bike. I'm a broke student :) Also sorry for my English, my mother tongue is French.

Thanks in advance,

·
wyrd bið ful ãræd
1,100 Posts
27 Inch Bicycle Tires from Harris Cyclery (ISO/E.T.R.T.O. 630 mm)

Sheldon says it is ok but you will need to go with lower pressures. So if the rim is still true and ok to go, just change the tube or patch it and remove the offending splinter/thorn/etc from the tyre and off you go ...

If you need to change the tyre/tubes, make sure they will fit those rims and check that you have the right sized tyre/tubes. Bring the old ones along if you can.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,669 Posts
you should find the hole in your punctured tube, because i'm betting those little holes to the sides of the rim strip caused your flat. pump some air (a good bit, the tube will get pretty big) into the old tube and locate the hole. match this up to the rim and confirm whether or not the small hole caused the puncture.

also, you would NEVER mount a tubular tire on this type of rim. google 'tubular rim' and you'll see what i mean. as the other poster said you'll have to go low-ish on the pressure because of your old, non-hook style rims. too much pressure and you'll blow the tires off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys!

I found a shard in the tyre so the small holes didn't cause the puncture. But I need to change this tyre it's very old and cracked anyway.

Now, when you say "lower pressure" can you give me an idea of much pressure it means? Something like 60-75psi? Less? :)

Thaaanks!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,669 Posts
Related. Here's an article on Specialized's new high-zoot CF rims that are hookless. 2013 Specialized Wheels & Tires ? Aero & Disc Road, Budget Carbon 29er MTB & More!
not necessarily related. the OP has an old steel 27" rim and the specialized video is about stuff so new it's not out yet. they're both hookless rims, but the technology and design is probably quite different. the older rims/tires did not have the ability to stay seated at high pressure, so i'd say it's going to depend to a certain degree on the fit of whichever tire the OP buys. obviously looser fitting tires won't hold as much pressure and tighter tires will. i'd say that 60psi is probably a good place to start, and should be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.