Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the other day I was going up a hill that required me to stand and really bear down. Well, on each crank I heard a sound. It sould somewhat like the rim against the brake pads. ( I know how that sound since my wheel was well ot of true). Well I checked both wheels, there are completely in true. Could this be frame flex??? I dont weight 300 pounds....:cryin:

· Registered
642 Posts
Wheel flex?

Do you rock the bike back and forth on climbs?

When I first got my bike, I had to open up the calipers a little to keep the wheel from rubbing against the pads on climbs. Even now, it the wheel is not dead center between the pads, they'll rub. Better wheel are in my future, but probably not this year.

· Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
It could be frame flex even if you are not 300 pounds. If you are putting a large amount of oompfh down into the pedals, it could make your bike flex. Is it a clicking nose, a rubbing noise, or something in the spokes? The spokes could be sucking up the stress from the pedal inputs on the chain and echoing them through the wheel?

Is there a dork-disk on your back wheel? (The plastic guard to keep the chain from shifting into the spokes). I had a bike once that gave the weirdest noise, and once the disk was gone, the noise was gone too. Had something to do with the way that the spokes, the cassette, and the whole wheel interacted with the pedaling.

Guess you're going to have to do some more hills like you were doing and see what the issue is. Opening up the brake caliper a bit may solve the issue.

· Registered
642 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
Wheel flex, really... What can I do about it... Can't afford new/better wheels...
Same here.

As a test, before a climb, open up the cams on your brakes and see if you still get the rubbing sound.
Don't forget to close them when your done.

Like I said, relive the tension on your brake cable and open up the calipers a bit.
Before you ride, give your wheels a spin and see if there dead center between the pads.
You might try to modify your climbing style and rock the bike less.
I did.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Adjust your brakes

Muaythaibike said:
Wheel flex, really... What can I do about it... Can't afford new/better wheels...
All you have to do is adjust your brakes so they aren't quite so close to the rim. Many people have too little clearance anyway. If your brake levers don't bottom out against the handlebars, then you are OK, so you probably can open things up a fair amount before that is an issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.