Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's new for me at least. Picked up a copy of Iz Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's CD Facing Future. Had heard the name while in Hawaii last fall and decided to try him out. The CD has become a little scarey addictive for me. Two days of just letting it run while I work. To me anyway, I find him pretty amazing.

The sad part is he died young.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Well it's new for me at least. Picked up a copy of Iz Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's CD Facing Future. Had heard the name while in Hawaii last fall and decided to try him out. The CD has become a little scarey addictive for me. Two days of just letting it run while I work. To me anyway, I find him pretty amazing.

what kind of music?

Here's a weird one that I discovered through Radio Paradise...a reggae/rap singing Hasidic Jew called Matisyahu--and he's GOOD.

http://www.matismusic.com/

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
He's got a great voice. If you get a chance listen to Raiatea's disc. It came out last year. She's a great singer.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was a Hawaiian artist. I guess pretty famous over there. Died from complications due to obesity but they say he was one of the nicest people to have graced the Islands. Here's a wikipedia link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Kamakawiwo'ole.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll check it out. I hadn't heard of her before.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Ah....The Makaha Sons of Niihau.

Ridgetop said:

As I recall another one of those guys ate himself to death too; you think Iz would have wised up. It is funny/sad to review their album covers in order and see how much they grew in bulk as well as musically.

Iz; aloha, mahalo.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I find it sad that many of the greatest musicians and artists always seem to find ways to either wreck or kill themselves. . .drugs, alcohol, disease, eating. I think it was Bigbill who said he never sees old Hawaiians. It's a sad thing.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Iz is great. We played quite a few of his songs at my best friend's memorial - big with the gay community here.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Ridgetop said:
I find it sad that many of the greatest musicians and artists always seem to find ways to either wreck or kill themselves. . .drugs, alcohol, disease, eating. I think it was Bigbill who said he never sees old Hawaiians. It's a sad thing.
I think Hawaiians are proof that there is such a thing as genetic predispostition to obesity. Eating all that fried Spam probably doesn't help though.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
what kind of music?

Here's a weird one that I discovered through Radio Paradise...a reggae/rap singing Hasidic Jew called Matisyahu--and he's GOOD.

http://www.matismusic.com/
He just released a new album about a month ago. They have been playing him a lot on the local alt public radio station.

He played here in Louisville a little while ago, but missed the concert.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what are you trying to say Snap? :)

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I think Hawaiians are proof that there is such a thing as genetic predispostition to obesity. Eating all that fried Spam probably doesn't help though.
The modern American diet is so different than the traditional Hawaiian diet of fruits, fresh vegetables, poultry and fish that it really does a number on the locals.

Not just the Hawaiians but the Asians too. There is a very high occurence of diabetes there. My mother, father and brother and just about every other person there all have (or have had) cases of borderline (or worse) diabetes. The food there is sweet and starchy and oh so delicious. The climate hot and humid.

Paradise? Not quite. An island in the tropics is not an easy place to live. Trust me.

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
Listen to the cut "Alika". She holds these notes out forever. Her dad is an old time Hawaiian musician, George Helm. Her full name is Raiatea Helm.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
il sogno said:
The modern American diet is so different than the traditional Hawaiian diet of fruits, fresh vegetables, poultry and fish that it really does a number on the locals.
Yeah...everytime the Westerners move in it's usually bad news for the locals. We gave the Native Americans smallpox and booze and we gave the Hawaiians junk food. I hear that meth is a huge problem in HI as well. Sad.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Ridgetop said:
So what are you trying to say Snap? :)
Not a thing! You just gotta understand the crowd I hung out with........token girl in the all gay boys club...:eek:

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Everyone has choices.

Bocephus Jones II said:
Yeah...everytime the Westerners move in it's usually bad news for the locals. We gave the Native Americans smallpox and booze and we gave the Hawaiians junk food. I hear that meth is a huge problem in HI as well. Sad.
No one points a gun at their heads and forces them to eat all those plate lunches.

But I do have to agree (speaking as one who grew up there and always wanted to be fat) the food choices available in Hawaii are great.

MB1
Who would really like a plate lunch right now.
w/2 scoops rice and one scoop mac salad.
Washed down with POG.
Yum, yum.

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
Yep, and the Hawaiians had small pox too. Many of them live in the poorer parts of town which where I lived BTW, is down by the beach.

There are a lot of Tsunamis that come through the islands so the coastal areas are where you live if you have no $$. Either that or you are a haole that has always dreamed of retiring on a beach in HI. If you ask me, my advice is to not live in the coastal areas of any island. Especially in HI. Too many tsunamis.

·
Super Moderator
19,479 Posts
MB1 said:
No one points a gun at their heads and forces them to eat all those plate lunches.

But I do have to agree (speaking as one who grew up there and always wanted to be fat) the food choices available in Hawaii are great.

MB1
Who would really like a plate lunch right now.
w/2 scoops rice and one scoop mac salad.
Washed down with POG.
Yum, yum.
Oh man, the plate lunches are absolutely sinful! One of the first things I do when I go back there is go to one of the plate lunch shops. Two scoops rice, mac salad, mebbee some spare ribs or hekka or whatever... In Hilo you can get plate lunches real cheap, less than $5 when I was there last - 10 years ago.

And then there's stuff like the cone sushi, azuki shaved ice, malasadas etc...

MMMMMMmmmmmm!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You and BigBill were the cause of me gaining over 5 pounds when I was there in October. Two weeks of eating at every local hangout I could find. It was driving my wife crazy cuz she would only get broiled or grilled chicken and veggies. I tried the pork, the chicken, the spam, etc. with all the gravy I could pile on with a stop at shaved ice place for macadamia nut ice cream and tropical mix shaved ice. I've got a monster appetite as it is and I kept finding reasons to get more. Throw in stopping at every bakery that I saw while driving (on Maui especially I had to keep getting the local banana bread) and I was shocked at the weight I gained in such a short time. But. . .yuuummmmyyyy!

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
There was this plate lunch truck in Waimanalo....

...we would stop there for breakfast half way through our Saturday training rides.

Fried Spam and 3 eggs any way you wanted them.
Plus; Hash Browns+2 scoops rice+1 scoop mac salad+2 slices buttered toast.

We didn't ride all that hard for the next hour or so.

Man that was a long time ago.:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts