Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually post over on C+T but I tend to lurk over here sometimes. I changed my chain and chainring last night on my IRO fixed gear. I had some strange wear marks on the inside of the chainring. The outside looks fine and almost perfect. Anybody have any ideas why? Is my chainline off? I have never dropped a chain or had any problems so I am not too worried. The first three pictures are of the inner or left side when sitting in the saddle and the last two are the outer or right side.
Thanks
MN Dan

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Interesting. If I had to guess, I'd say the chainline is off a little bit, but you might also be noticing this wear more because the anodized ring makes it more visible than a silver one would. Take a chainline measurement with the ring mounted up and see.

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
If you're using a cartridge bb, you should have about 1mm of adjustability in it. Take off the cranks, and adjust the bb to the right about .2 mm (Loosen the cup, spin the cartridge, tighten the cup). That'll perfect up you're chainline. Really, though, if you're not having other problems, it doesn't have to be done.

As for the denting and chipping of the teeth, a better chainring (steel is good) and a watchful eye on chain tension will go a long way. I had that problem with cheapo rings on my IRO, but with a Salsa ring on my Gunnar, I haven't had any problems. Again, chain tension did have a little to do with that, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's.

The English BB is tight on my IRO. I may try and move it to the right on some day off. I am tempted to just leave it alone now that I have a new and very quiet chain. You guys are right it's a cheap chainring, so maybe a higher quality one next time. FYI: I run the chainring on the inside of the crank spider. Thanks everyone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.