Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, not my heart...

After strenuous training rides, like a TT loop in an aero position, I find that the left side of my chest hurts, inside my chest wall. I feel it particularly when I lie on my left side or try to pick up something or twist my body a certain way. My theory is that being in a tuck position and breathing very hard has pulled some weird muscle or strained some connective tissue deep in my chest. But it is not like any pain I have had before. My wife wants me to see a doctor but I don't know what he could say or do about this.

Has anyone else had this similar pain?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I get something similar to this a lot. It's your lungs pushing against your ribcage just a bit. Assuming that you put forth a fairly high aerobic effort your lungs have gotten used to more forceful inhalation. When you stop and get back to normal breathing they're still nice ans stretchy and you take in more air, causding your chest to expand into the ribcage. Gut-breathing (filling the lungs from the bottom up) takes care of this in great haste.

BTW, tuba playing does this a lot worse, to the point where a shllow breath still hurts, breath down and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But this pain persists long after the ride.... like a week later even. And only on my left side. It's a sharp pain. I don't feel it when I am riding. Weird.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
HMMMMN....maybe go see a doctor?

Sorry to be so blunt, but c'mon....you're having an unknown chest pain and your waiting for replies here? Go to the ER and have them rule everything out so you can get back to training!

Flash

·
Registered
484 Posts
Suddha said:
But it is not like any pain I have had before. My wife wants me to see a doctor but I don't know what he could say or do about this.
I'll be blunt too. Just because you don't know what a doctor could say or do is no excuse not to go. It could be a lot of differant things. Including your theory that a muscular skeletal strain. But you should go to the doctor and get it checked.

·
Registered
143 Posts
There are a lot of things that could cause pain in this area:
-strained/sprained/inflammed musculoskeletal structures as you speculated
-referred pain from nerve root impingement near your spine
-pain due to inflammation of an intercostal nerve
-inflammation of the lining of the lung or thoracic cavity (pleuritis)
-inflammation of the lining of the heart (pericarditis)
-tearing of the inner lining of a great vessel (aortic dissection, ouch!)
-oh yeah, it could be your heart

Although it's probably nothing, you should go get it checked out-- it might be nothing, it might be something serious-- in either case, wouldn't you like to figure out what it is so you can make it go away? Best of luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.