Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so here is my situation: About two months ago I began a really intense fitness routine. I had been out of the Army for about two years and I realized that I had gained thirty pounds since the time of my discharge, so I decided it was time to get back in gear. I have focused meticulously on my nutrition and the physical training has been intense. I have been dedicated and very consistent so far and I have stuck with my program religiously. Note also that I have done very little strength/weight training in this program.
Here is the deal: From one perspective, my performance gains in this time have been extreme and exceeded my expectations significantly. I have had an almost thirty percent increase in my wattage and my watts per kilogram have increased twenty percent. As I said before, this has exceeded my expectations and should be very encouraging to me. Here is the problem, though. I have gained fifteen pounds in this time period as well. I learned in the Army that one's weight can fluctuate both ways a little at the beginning of any fitness program, but fifteen pounds of weight gain seems like more than a little fluctuation. I also know that it isn't a fluke because I have been monitoring my weight this whole time and it has been gradually and consistently increasing the whole time. I know that a lot of people say that one shouldn't worry a whole lot about what the scale is saying, but I admit that I am a little bit discouraged. Now I weigh forty-five pounds more than I weighed when I got out of the military. Does anybody know what is going on?

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Are you doing serious resistance training (e.g. weights)? In other words, how much of that weight gain can be an increase in muscle mass?

If it's not muscle mass, then pretender is probably right. You may be eating too much of the wrong things, or calories may be sneaking up on you. For example, large black coffee = only a few calories. Coffee with skim milk = 130 calories. Coffee with whole milk and tbs of sugar = 250 calories.

·
Registered
212 Posts
team_sheepshead said:
Are you doing serious resistance training (e.g. weights)? In other words, how much of that weight gain can be an increase in muscle mass?

If it's not muscle mass, then pretender is probably right. You may be eating too much of the wrong things, or calories may be sneaking up on you. For example, large black coffee = only a few calories. Coffee with skim milk = 130 calories. Coffee with whole milk and tbs of sugar = 250 calories.

There is no way anybody can gain that much muscle mass in that time... Not even close....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts