Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike occasionally makes a strange noise when I hit a significant road imperfection with the front wheel. It is a distinct "Crack" that seems to originate in the wheel. It sounds like a piece of carbon fibre has broken. I know this is not the case as the only carbon on the bike is the fork (Ouzo Pro) and it is fine. The wheels are Easton Circuits and the frame is Ti. Any ideas?

·
Registered
21,507 Posts
That's probably it

RocketDog said:
My first guess would be a loose headset (particularly if it is an integrated one).
Agreed. A lot of people do not have their threadless headsets adjusted tight enough to prevent this problem. Absent a crack in the fork, the "clack" is from a loose headset. Best to adjust this out of the unit as it is clearly not good to have things slapping around like this.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Bars slipping...

You probably only get that when you're riding on the hoods, right?

With one of my bikes, I got that a lot when I first got it. Hit a dip, CRACK! Stop, check, no harm done, soldier on.

It took me ages to figure out what it was, because I pretty quickly learned not to hit the kind of dips or bumps that caused it.

Finally, I realized that it was my handlebars slipping in the stem clamp--rotating downwards ever so slightly. After a few months of once-a-week CRACK! noises, I finally could see that my brake hoods were tilted lower than I'd originally set them.

Tightening the binder bolts for the handlebar clamp to the proper torque sorted me out.

I bet this is what's happening to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bikeboy389 said:
You probably only get that when you're riding on the hoods, right?

With one of my bikes, I got that a lot when I first got it. Hit a dip, CRACK! Stop, check, no harm done, soldier on.

It took me ages to figure out what it was, because I pretty quickly learned not to hit the kind of dips or bumps that caused it.

Finally, I realized that it was my handlebars slipping in the stem clamp--rotating downwards ever so slightly. After a few months of once-a-week CRACK! noises, I finally could see that my brake hoods were tilted lower than I'd originally set them.

Tightening the binder bolts for the handlebar clamp to the proper torque sorted me out.

I bet this is what's happening to you.
Thanks bikeboy, you got it! I was able to reproduce the sound by pushing down on the hoods and bouncing the front wheel. The bars slipped a noticeable amount and made an extended version of the sound. Probably not the best thing to do, but I had to know!

Thanks also to RocketDog and Kerry for your suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts