Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the one I bought was a different brand("Betty Brown" or something like that). The can had styling from the 50's and had a good amount of dust on the top. Bought it in the fall of my sophomore year of college. It was a great conversation piece until one really drunk night in the spring when we decided to toss it in the toaster oven. We marinated it in the broth and put cashews on it. It was delicious. Initially only me and a buddy were interested and everyone else was saying "gross". At the end only bones were left and all agreed it was darn good.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
I have never seen a whole chicken in a can. I have not lived.

I have seen a goat's heat in the meat department.:eek:

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
A can of Chinese "Forest Frog" beverage. It certainly had some suspicious bits in it, supposedly from its namesake, but I'm not sure.

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
In England

While in England I bought something called "******* and peas" at the super markup. It's more like mini salsbury steak in gravy mixed with peas! I brought the box over just to show my friends but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

http://www.dbeinla.org/toenjoy33.html

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
chuckice said:
gross! and i thought the canned brains were bad...
In Iceland people love goat's head... they eat em like chicken... it's a strange site seeing little kids gnawing on whole goat heads....

But then they also love rotten aged shark meat as well.... they hang chunks of shark meats inside a buiding and let em get nice and moldy before they carve up and eat em raw with shots of serious Vodka....

·
My back hurts
4,862 Posts
I love seeing cow brains, tripe, and pig feet all right next to each other in the meat cooler at the Mexican market.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts

or

I actually saw a store in Groningen yesterday that was named "Sissy Boy"- and there is a large european chain called "Dressman"

I still think spotted dick wins this thread:

Spotted Dick
2 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
pinch of salt
2 oz shredded suet
1 oz white or brown sugar
4 oz currants
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
4-5 tbsp milk

Butter a 1.5 pint pudding basin. Sift the flour, baking powder, spice and salt into a mixing bowl and mix in the suet, sugar, fruit and bread- crumbs. Stir in the egg and sufficient milk to produce a soft consistency that drops off the spoon in 5 seconds.

Turn the mixture into the pudding basin, which should be two-thirds full. Cover with greased foil or a snap-on lid (the plastic container from a 2 lb Christmas pudding is worth saving for this purpose.) Steam for 2 to 2.5 hours. When cooked, remove the cover and allow the pudding to shrink slightly, then cover the basin with a hot serving plate, hold it firmly and invert. Lift off the basin to leave the pudding on the plate.

Serve hot with custard.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Serve hot with custard.

post of the day.

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
6was9 said:
In Iceland people love goat's head... they eat em like chicken... it's a strange site seeing little kids gnawing on whole goat heads....

But then they also love rotten aged shark meat as well.... they hang chunks of shark meats inside a buiding and let em get nice and moldy before they carve up and eat em raw with shots of serious Vodka....
i heard dogs are not allowed in rejkjavik. strange people indeed.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I live on an island composed of Chinese, Japanese, and Filipino cultures. This isn't even a challenge. Hawaii just recently banned the sale of dog meat. We eat raw fish all of the time, I don't even think about it anymore. I ate a quart container of smoked octopus a few months ago. And spam, don't get me started.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
lets_ride said:
Inefficient shrinkwrap would be my guess.:D
Ummm... so it happens afterwards... not before...

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so who has tried spotted dick?

the ingredients don't look bad but I'm afraid to google "suet".

let's ride I'll assume you just saw the spotted dick but did not try it?

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
My best friend in elementary school...

was british and her mom made the homemade version. I've eaten that, but not the canned stuff.

The homemade version was actually quite good.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
souse, scrapple, liver pudding, liver mush, and c-loaf

I've tried scrapple. It was pretty good.

Who has tried any of the others.....fess up. Doesn't need to be this brand, could be homemade,etc. The scrapple I had was homemade by someone at least the size of the lady in What is eating gilbert grape?, and that is not an exagerration.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
I've had scrapple. Not bad at all. I'll pass on the others. My wife is Cambodian and we do some shopping at the local Vietnamese/Chinese markets here. Lots of curious stuff to find. Most of it very good.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts