Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on how to successfully combat negative racing.

Basically I'm doing a crit series. And because I'm leading the points in the 3/4 race, the other "strong" riders are refusing to work with me. And they basically let anyone (except those high in the series points standings) ride off the front, and force me to chase.

I understand why in theory they are doing this. But there is nothing but pride and prizes on the line for the series. ( I think the winner gets a bookbag) So I guess I don't understand why they will purposely give up results and upgrade points to attempt to chase series points.

I'm oh so close to getting the final upgrade points I need, so I guess I am frustrated people would purposely not race to win, in an attempt to prevent me and a few others from doing well.

So any tips or tactics to combat this?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
The reality ... that's racing, get used to it.

There is nothing that says they have to work with you, help you get your upgrade points or do anything other than participate. They are using tactics that make you do the work ... sounds like smart racing to me and nothing negative about it.

You basically have two choices:

1) Be strong enough you can beat them regardless of the strategy they use.
2) Try and form alliances with other riders and beat them at their own game ... this is usually the easier route, but you have to know the guys to talk with and get them to work with you.

Other than that ... Good luck.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
If you are in the series lead, why bother chasing down someone who isn't a threat to your lead? If they let the riders go, you should let them go too. They are in more danger of losing their series placing than you are since you are ahead of them. Seems pretty simple. You don't see the Tour leader chasing down a rider who is way down in the standings, he stays with the guys who are threatening his lead. The objective is to win the war even if you have to lose a few battles.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you are in the series lead, why bother chasing down someone who isn't a threat to your lead? If they let the riders go, you should let them go too. They are in more danger of losing their series placing than you are since you are ahead of them. Seems pretty simple. You don't see the Tour leader chasing down a rider who is way down in the standings, he stays with the guys who are threatening his lead. The objective is to win the war even if you have to lose a few battles.
Good advice all around. Unfortunately, that is racing. Spooky has given you the best perspective in my mind. Additionally, you can think about upgrade points in this fashion too. If one or two guys go off the front and take the larger upgrade points, you just beat the others for third to get the top upgrade points available. That is racing.

Also, as kbiker3111 said, you should have OR need teammates that will 1) chase down the breaks for you 2) initiate the breaks so you can sit in.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Agreed with Wookie, that is not negative racing. I think people throw that term around a lot when things are not going their way, but in reality, it fits a specific situation. Your's is not negative racing. Either be smarter or stronger than them. . .

·
Banned
8,103 Posts
Also, I think that you might be reading too much into what these other guys are doing.

I don't doubt that a few riders are marking you. But I do doubt that Cat 3/4 teams are so strong and disciplined as to really carry out this plan of not letting you get away. If it's just one guy and his teammate doing this to you then you should talk directly to him and ask if he wants to go in a break while his teammate blocks.

Where are your teammates?

If you don't have teammates in the 3/4s are you going to have teammates after you upgrade? Things get a lot more difficult for solo riders in the 1/2s.

Overall, you should look at this as a positive. The majority of riders who race never make it past Cat 5 or 4. You're in a unique position of riding so well that you have to use tactics to continue to win. Think about that. Enjoy it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you need a pick-me-up go out of district and do a couple races for a weekend. Nobody will know who you are and probably they'll assume you are pack fill. Doesn't help your point series but nothing helps the morale like results.

·
Cycling Coach
1,734 Posts
I recall a series about 15 years ago when this was happening to me, so I simply decided that attack was the best form of defence. Just when they were expecting another of their minions to go off the front again and force me to chase, I got in first and hit them hard. It worked, their strategy fell apart after that and I ended up winning comfortably.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.