Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So normally on runtastic, it'll say my avg grade is 5% with an max grade of 13%.

I decided to use Strava and go the exact same route. I used the segment explorer and the steepest segment was only 4.8%?

what is going on?

i then went on youtube to look at some cyclists and when the computer said theybwere going at 4/5%, the grounf seemed flat??

whats going on?

·
Registered
394 Posts
GPS on a smartphone isn't all that accurate for elevation and the actual mileage can be off by 10% or more. A dedicated GPS device like a Garmin is usually more accurate but still has a hard time getting perfectly accurate elevation. This gives you the strange results that you're finding.

Videos always looks very flat unless the terrain is steep. When using my gopro for snowboarinding the diamond slopes look nearly flat when you watch the footage.

Heres some of my own GPS data. At one point it said I was climbing a 28% grade which I'm pretty sure there is no road in the world that steep. You can also see how jagged the speed and elevation data is. Its cause by inaccuracy with the GPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
So normally on runtastic, it'll say my avg grade is 5% with an max grade of 13%.

I decided to use Strava and go the exact same route. I used the segment explorer and the steepest segment was only 4.8%?

what is going on?

i then went on youtube to look at some cyclists and when the computer said theybwere going at 4/5%, the grounf seemed flat??

whats going on?

I think you need to stop obsessing about what gps tells you. Get out there and enjoy the bike. Biking is more than what the gps tells you.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts

what is going on?

whats going on?
Ask yourself .. Serious there is huge difference between 5 and 13% ... You should be able to tell which one is more correct or less incorrect is probably more like it

·
Registered
760 Posts
@fajita dave - there are plenty of roads and mountains around in the world that are way over 28%. They may only be short sections, but they are out there, I think there was a thread around here somewhere recently actually.

@asfos - as mentioned, there is a huge difference between 5 and 13%, one requires some effort, the other a LOT of effort, you should be able to tell the difference easily enough. The only way you will be able to (reasonably) accurately see for yourself while riding is to get a device like a Garmin Edge with a barometric altimiter. Using website data to see elevation and gradient is fairly usless as the mapping data they use often uses elevation data points "near" where you are riding, but this may be at the top of a nearby hill, bottom of a valley or somewhere in between, not actually where you are riding so what you see is often useless at best. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter what the numbers say, it is what it is, go ride your bike and enjoy the fresh air.

The other thing to take note of in something like Strava is how the original segment was created. Was it created from a persons ride that used a device with a barometric altimiter (segment should be fairly accurate) or from a smart phone where the elevation data relies on the accuracy of Strava's mapping data which can often be innacurate but what you see when viewing the segment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts