Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't pay much attention to Strava other than the overall fitness data, but I noticed today after seeing a bunch in my timeline signing up for the monthly challenges, that they don't sell the jerseys any more? I assume Dec 2015 was the last?

I don't buy them (I know someone with one, and it's pretty nice quality - just don't wanna ride around with that logo on my shirt), I'm mostly just curious.

Did I miss an announcement or something?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would guess that they weren't selling enough to justify the cost in having them made each month. If they weren't over $100 and basically a billboard for Strava, I probably would be more interested. A small logo on the sleeve, instead of huge chest piece would have been OK in my book.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
Did I miss an announcement or something?
I don't think so. Probably just that since it's winter not many people are interested in short sleeve jersey's. Combined with less people actually completing the challenges in the winter.
I imagine it's quite a bit to make a new jersey for every month and not a lot of demand for them in general. I've only ever seen one person wear one. And I've got about 15-20 riding partners on Strava who complete most of the challenges.

If they weren't over $100 and basically a billboard for Strava, I probably would be more interested. A small logo on the sleeve, instead of huge chest piece would have been OK in my book.
Me too. I can't see spending $120 to advertise for them.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
With the discovery of hidden bicycle motors all Strava data is BS and jerseys and KOMs are bogus and hereby cancelled. Guess it was a nice run.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I think I read last year that there were stopping end of the year because of end of partnership with Cuore. Maybe something about a new brand making stuff for them come this year's NA season. I don't care enough to remember any details though.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's only winter in the northern hemisphere, and even then only the more northern climes.

I'm not sure, but I think the jerseys were not ordered until after the challenges were completed. The one person I know with one said he didn't get his until two months after he ordered it.

·
Registered
20,790 Posts
With the discovery of hidden bicycle motors all Strava data is BS and jerseys and KOMs are bogus and hereby cancelled. Guess it was a nice run.
The Strava data has been viewed as BS long before the discovery of hidden motors. ebikes have existed for quite a while. Along with numerous other forms of cheating.
I see the whole KOM fad dying.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The Strava data has been viewed as BS long before the discovery of hidden motors. ebikes have existed for quite a while. Along with numerous other forms of cheating.
I see the whole KOM fad dying.
Yeah most times i compete against myself. But on any given day a lot varibles can change.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Because no one ever put their Garmin in their car and drove Strava segments before. I mean everyone had to buy a $5000 motor/battery to cheat before...

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Because no one ever put their Garmin in their car and drove Strava segments before. I mean everyone had to buy a $5000 motor/battery to cheat before...
If you live for KOM's then I imagine you'd want to be more sophisticated and replicate the kind of speed peaks and troughs that one puts down on a bike. In a car you'd also be blocking the whole lane of whatever road you're on so I do see why someone would opt for an ebike rather than a car.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I never saw an announcement...I would imagine cost (too high) and low demand for them were not making it profitable.

In regards to the Strava data being BS...possibly...but often we forget that it's meant to be fun and encouraging.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Keep in mind Strava is a company struggling to find a profitable business model. The whole clothing/jersey thing was another attempt at this after they realized they couldn't be a unicorn ($1B valuation) via their freemium model. I'm guessing the apparel didn't sell enough to make this happen either. Hey, at least they raised another round of funding before they had to admit their clothing line didn't work out. I'm sure there are some fairly annoyed VCs right now.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I never could stomach the idea of working my butt off to "earn the right" to buy expensive gear that would just advertise for them.

That said, I have some non-Stravafied Cuore bibs that I really like. Their website is worth checking out, and their customer service is good. American operations based in Boulder, I think.

Also I think Strava challenge clothes or other gear will be back later in the year (just guessing).

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I think I read last year that there were stopping end of the year because of end of partnership with Cuore. Maybe something about a new brand making stuff for them come this year's NA season. I don't care enough to remember any details though.

So, they were partnering with Cuore and those things still cost $130 or something like that??

Pass..............................

I got most of the jerseys challenge, but it was for the challenge for myself.

If they wanted us to pimp strava and the challenge fun, those jersey should have been at their cost at best since wearing them would be advertising.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I don't pay much attention to Strava other than the overall fitness data, but I noticed today after seeing a bunch in my timeline signing up for the monthly challenges, that they don't sell the jerseys any more?
It's a sad day. Let's observe a moment of silence.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
It's a sad day. Let's observe a moment of silence.
I want to see if anyone actually bought one of those jerseys.

I have never seen one around here NorCal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts