Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 259 Posts

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
My friend has been trying to get me to use it for a while, but I don't see the point. I see plenty of mal-adjusted males comparing the sizes of their e-peens when I play online multiplayer games. This would just seem to accomplish the same task but with bicycles.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I find it useful for keeping track of approximate mileage. However, whether due to its inherent inaccuracy, or my obsolescent android phone, the ride data is very inaccurate. I get a fraction of my actual climbing, and my speed is off. But for comparing one of my rides to my past rides to measure for improvement, it's useful. Not so much for comparing myself to others, which I really don't care about in the first place.

It's erratic in recording known segments on my rides, too. Sometimes it picks up all of them, sometimes it picks up some, sometimes none.

My understanding is that when used with a Garmin, it's much more accurate.

·
Re-Cyclist
1,568 Posts
We had a lively back-and-forth about the merits of Strava on RoadBikeReview.com this week.
Uh, this IS RoadBikeReview.com.

Strava is basically a great tool, but with so many people using it there are way too many segments representing people's personal little sections that have no interest to most of us. I'm tired of seeing 50 segments listed whenever I ride anywhere. Still, Strava gives me good info and tracks my annual stats well.

·
Token Sprinter
644 Posts
I like it, it keeps me motivated. Most of the guys on my team are on Strava so its cool to be able to see what everyone is doing. Also, everyone knows when you're slacking so it motivates me to get out there and ride more. That and it lets me see who is riding what back home. I suppose I like it more for the social aspect rather than going balls out for segments and whatnot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Love it. </SPAN>

Having several friends, living in various states , it is a useful tool. I love being able to follow their rides daily. </SPAN>

The only person I use it to ‘compete’ with is myself. It’s a very useful training tool.</SPAN>
Uploading the data from my Garmin 500 is a breeze too.</SPAN>

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I use it all the time and I love it. Nice to track my overall rides and performance on each one. Gives me a nice "where I stand" feeling as well. It is nice fun little toy, and I can see not everyone may want to use it, but why do some seem to hate it so much?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I luv it - great to see friends weekend rides (even when we can't ride together).

I luv seeing my own improvements on certain segments but I hate seeing them not improve when I'm giving 100%.

I hate comparing my Garmin Edge 500 data with Android/iPhone users - the phones always seem to have wacked a$$ readings or top speeds of 90mph. If they included a filter for devices that would be awesome.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I actually just signed up for Strava this week. It seems cool so far. I don't run Strava during my commute rides, so my Strava profile is hundreds of miles, and will the thousands, lighter than what I really do. Oh well. One of the best things is using it to find good cycling routes or climbs in my area that I didn't know about. It seems accurate too although I've never used anything else to measure feet climbed so it's a pretty neat thing to use for free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use my Garmin to upload my data to Strava to track personal progress. I have a friends on it and it's pretty nifty to see how you compare to others in popular segments, but I won't go out of my way to try to outperform others. In addition to Strava I also use ridewithgps and mapmyride to discover new routes.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Love the T-shirt. Strava...not so much. But no reason to hate it, that's way to strong of a word. I have an account and use the app on maybe 20% of my rides. I don't own a fancy Garmin.

I don't love it and I certainly don't hate it - it's fine and sometimes fun to look at even though it's not very accurate - or hasn't been for me, but I like looking at squiggly lines on axis. I sometimes use it to look at where other people in my area ride too.

1 - 20 of 259 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.