Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Dutch riders have a slight advantage given the flatter terrain, and clocked an average speed of 26.92kmh (16.72mph) to UK riders’ 25.61kmh (15.9mph).

Average speed on Strava: Global cycling

Country Average Speed Male - Country Average Speed Female
Holland 26.92 km/h - Holland 21.36 km/h
UK 25.61 km/h - France 20.74 km/h
France 24.36 km/h - USA 20.51 km/h
USA 24.35 km/h - Germany 19.94 km/h
Germany 23.28 km/h - Spain 19.86 km/h
Spain 22.31 km/h- UK 19.84 km/h

Read more at British cyclists are some of fastest in the world, 2016 Strava stats reveal - Cycling Weekly

·
Registered
580 Posts
Sorry I'm dragging you down USA. But I ride a good amount of hills though.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
What's with the British women? Really letting Old Blighty down, I say.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
now I don't feel so bad, LOL. but generally very hilly here. albeit I have options for flat rides if I take the MUT (which has speed limitations though)

where's all the rest of the national average speeds??? they only list 6

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Something to consider is who signs up with Strava. The ratio of licensed amateur- and pro racers to recreational riders in one country could be quite different from that ratio in another country. As to the British Strava women: there may not be enough of them for Strava to publish a meaningful number. But that's just a guess.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
As they mentioned, terrain also plays into it. Availability of bike-friendly infrastructure, specific cycling discipline being tracked, number of cyclists per nation...

It's really a meaningless list without more specific context. Then again, that also pretty much describes Strava.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
It's really a meaningless list without more specific context. Then again, that also pretty much describes Strava.
Important point; well put.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Coming up to the end of they year it would be nice if I could get my average speed for the year. I could compare it to previous years and I think it would tell a lot about my fitness level from year to year.

Of course the use of auto pause makes a big difference in average speed. People turn it on as I have because it is much more satisfying.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
some of you need to step it up.

you know who you are.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Of course the use of auto pause makes a big difference in average speed. People turn it on as I have because it is much more satisfying.
And because you're not riding when you're not riding. Never understood why anyone would keep the time going. That's silly.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
And because you're not riding when you're not riding. Never understood why anyone would keep the time going. That's silly.
I agree. They should keep track of your time in a marathon by only considering the time you're running. If you're lying down, replenishing fluids, eliminating fluids, that time shouldn't count... you're not running! Why keep the time going? Sad!

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
First time ever using Strava today. Took it slow on the 9 mile climb up a mountain, giving me a lowly 12.1mph avg, even though I bombed back down. It perfectly matched my cyclecomputer, so at least it's calibrated accurately.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.