Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, yeah, we all know the shirts about Strava made me dope and we all know of the doping scum that use Strava to justify and fuel their cheating. But I was under the impression that Strava cared a little or that convicted dopers weren't allowed to run free. Bad assumption.

co-founder and CEO Mark Gainey said:
At Strava we strive to record accurate segment times and rely on our community to flag unsafe rides and mechanical cheating. We applaud those dedicated to fighting doping in sport. But we are not able to judge this very nuanced debate of who used PEDs, when and where they used them, and to fairly determine how that use improved times on one segment or another. Strava values sportsmanship and fair play, and we want members of our community to earn spots on the leaderboards through clean and safe competition.
No. Strava does NOT value sportsmanship and fair play...

So you have a convicted doper who not only has been caught red handed cheating and had wins taken from him and his career ended because it, you have a doper who's been convicted of selling PEDs to other scum as well.

And when this person is brought up to Strava, that is their response. Essentially their response is, "We strive to record accurate segment times. We will look into any mechanical doping or segments that are unsafe. We will not look into any PED usage and all convicted dopers are allowed to do whatever they want on Strava as long as it's on a safe course without mechanical help."

Who is Thorfinn-Sassquatch? The mysterious case of a Los Angeles Strava legend | CyclingTips

Here's the link. Not that I want to promote this piece of **** any more but it's worth the read I guess.

So who cares right? We all know that Strava is fake and that those with lots of KOMs are all doping right? So why does it even matter?

Let's see... take lots of PEDs, check. Take lots of KOMs, check. Gain notoriety doing so, check. Launch clothing line based on notoriety, check. Profit, check. Sounds legit. Thanks Strava.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Stupid thread man. How in the hell could Strava possibly keep up with dopers taking a segment? Who cares? I use Strava on every ride and sure don't get all fired up about this.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I don't really know what Strava can do about this. People will cheat, whether it's e-bikes, PEDs, getting a tow, etc... there is no way they can possibly police everything.

They can't really ban one guy for testing positive unless they do it for everyone who cheats, which would be impossible.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
So who cares right? We all know that Strava is fake and that those with lots of KOMs are all doping right? So why does it even matter?
When did it ever matter?

On the other hand I think Strava should put a "known doper" icon to shame people that have tested positive. Tom Danielson can get the first one. Levi can get the second one.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When did it ever matter?

On the other hand I think Strava should put a "known doper" icon to shame people that have tested positive. Tom Danielson can get the first one. Levi can get the second one.
This is precisely my point.

They have a filter for Pro riders. Why?

If a doper is riding at a level most likely above a pro rider where is that filter?

Is the Pro filter so you don't feel so bad about losing to a pro? Should be the same with a doper.

Yes, I do believe Strava should punish convicted cheaters. Of course they should.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

If a doper is riding at a level most likely above a pro rider where is that filter?

Is the Pro filter so you don't feel so bad about losing to a pro? Should be the same with a doper.

Yes, I do believe Strava should punish convicted cheaters. Of course they should.
I don't see the filter, just the badge. But hey, if you want to get super butt-hurt about someone on a Strava leaderboard maybe you need to re-align your life goals and find your chi. I found my chi when I stopped uploading rides to strava and deleted everything. I still have an account because their route creator and heat maps are useful but stop being so concerned with what other people do and ride your bike.

·
Registered
20,726 Posts

What pro filter?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay filter is a bad word. Badge or Designation would be better. A little shield with the letters PED on it would be suitable.

I don't get worked up about it, I'm no stravaholic or anything of the sort. Their virtual race tracks mean nothing to me. More of a PSA for those that might be taking it a little too seriously.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
I find Strava is to biking what Facebook is to my social life. (I don't use either).

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Same issue came up last year when Danielson was popped AGAIN and went out on a big ride soon after mopping up big KOMs.

Reporting him did nothing. Eh.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Same issue came up last year when Danielson was popped AGAIN and went out on a big ride soon after mopping up big KOMs.

Reporting him did nothing. Eh.
Did you really expect a cycling website to put itself in the middle of something like that? There is no positive outcome for them, they have to attract as many users as possible and banning Tom Danielson so he has a platform to claim he's the victim of a witch hunt isn't going to help them. Are you expecting them to serve their bans on Strava as well? They can't upload rides for the length of their ban? It's a bit ridiculous.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,944 Posts
I find Strava is to biking what Facebook is to my social life. (I don't use either).
Strava is like Garmin Connect....except Strava actually works most of the time.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I just found out I hold a Strava segment. I don't even remember doing it. In all honesty, I think I was just riding a nice tailwind up a hill.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Did you really expect a cycling website to put itself in the middle of something like that? There is no positive outcome for them, they have to attract as many users as possible and banning Tom Danielson so he has a platform to claim he's the victim of a witch hunt isn't going to help them. Are you expecting them to serve their bans on Strava as well? They can't upload rides for the length of their ban? It's a bit ridiculous.
You flag a ride. That ride is up for review. Apparently being doped as **** is fine.

That's the whole story. Not sure what the rest of your diatribe is going on about, nor do I really care.

·
Registered
20,726 Posts
Okay filter is a bad word. Badge or Designation would be better. A little shield with the letters PED on it would be suitable.
But that "badge" only shows for the KOM. There could also be a bunch of Pros under the KOM as well. So you're really not filtering or learning anything.
For instance, I know a Segment that's on a Pro race course. 7 of the top 10 spots are Pros. The other 3 probably are (or were) Pros too. The only way to know who are Pros is to look at each persons profile. There's 1400 people on the segment.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
You flag a ride. That ride is up for review. Apparently being doped as **** is fine.

That's the whole story. Not sure what the rest of your diatribe is going on about, nor do I really care.
So if a non-racer who is not under jurisdiction of USADA/USAC takes a lot of artificial testosterone prescribed by his doctor (not illegal) and puts his rides up on Strava should those be taken down as well? Where is the due process? Etc. See why Strava doesn't want to put themselves into the middle of it? Plus they have bigger things to worry about right now, i.e. the company valuation. Whether Tom Danielson is doping on Strava or not has little to do with that.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts